+1

Rideplate angles question

I know a decent amount about skis but I am a little fuzzy on rideplate angles. So tell me if I got this right....

The more your shim the front of the plate, the more aggressive you are making the plate and the better it will respond to top speed? Shimming too much could cause a buck I think?

The more you shim the back of the plate, the less aggressive the plate will be and it will respond better to chop? Shimming too much would drop the plate low in the water and cause drag but this would not bring on a buck?

Thanks (as always)

+1
    On a GPR this is true however I have read (not having owned an FZR) that testing has shown the newer ski's arn't responding with the same speed gains to these ride plate angles changes. Prob not the best person to answer this Q but I read this the other day it was an older post and I'm sure someone has done a bit more R and D on these ski's since then.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeFZR View Post
    I know a decent amount about skis but I am a little fuzzy on rideplate angles. So tell me if I got this right....

The more your shim the front of the plate, the more aggressive you are making the plate and the better it will respond to top speed? Shimming too much could cause a buck I think?

The more you shim the back of the plate, the less aggressive the plate will be and it will respond better to chop? Shimming too much would drop the plate low in the water and cause drag but this would not bring on a buck?

Thanks (as always)
    Correct. Think of it like trim. Putting more angle on the plate(shimming the front) will help get more of the hull out of the water so there is less drag. When you shim the back, it's not the plate causing drag. You have more drag because more of the hull is in the water. Typically, adding angle will give the ski a looser feel & more top speed while taking angle out will imrove the turning & hookup. Lots of plate angle can lead to overstuffing because you are changing the angle of attack of the tunnel causing higher pressures in front of the impeller.

Quote Originally Posted by mjh3ides View Post
    Correct. Think of it like trim. Putting more angle on the plate(shimming the front) will help get more of the hull out of the water so there is less drag. When you shim the back, it's not the plate causing drag. You have more drag because more of the hull is in the water. Typically, adding angle will give the ski a looser feel & more top speed while taking angle out will imrove the turning & hookup. Lots of plate angle can lead to overstuffing because you are changing the angle of attack of the tunnel causing higher pressures in front of the impeller.
    I know every ski is different, but my experiences with the GPR sometimes more angle is not better. I think with any ski you have to find that sweet spot within what you are trying to accomplish...

+1
    Thanks everyone

When I get my VX plate from Jim I intend to try it no shims at first but from what I have read, I will probably end up shimming the back of the plate to reduce bounce at WOT. Hopefully I will see a cool 4mph gain

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeFZR View Post
    Thanks everyone

When I get my VX plate from Jim I intend to try it no shims at first but from what I have read, I will probably end up shimming the back of the plate to reduce bounce at WOT. Hopefully I will see a cool 4mph gain
    How did you go with your results.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by gleson View Post
    How did you go with your results.
    Theres still a few feet of snow on the ground Check my build thread in may

Thread Information