Intro/New RXP owner

Hello!

My name is Andrew and I will be picking up my first PWC this weekend. It is an 06 RXP with 90 hours and a freshly (less than 1 hr) rebuilt engine/sc. I rode my friends xp last summer and had a blast so I decided to buy one too. What better month than Feb. to buy a PWC? I have read both the stickies about do's and don'ts but had a few questions:

1) How long before a new motor is broken in?

2) Since I have to drive 5 hours on salty and rock peppered roads to get it home, what's the best way to protect it?

3) What are basic pre/post riding maintnances that should be done?

Thank you in advance for your answers! I look forward to contributing to this community, meeting you all, and hopefully riding with you!

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by OhNoItsGodzirra View Post
    Hello!

My name is Andrew and I will be picking up my first PWC this weekend. It is an 06 RXP with 90 hours and a freshly (less than 1 hr) rebuilt engine/sc. I rode my friends xp last summer and had a blast so I decided to buy one too. What better month than Feb. to buy a PWC? I have read both the stickies about do's and don'ts but had a few questions:

2) Since I have to drive 5 hours on salty and rock peppered roads to get it home, what's the best way to protect it?

Thank you in advance for your answers! I look forward to contributing to this community, meeting you all, and hopefully riding with you!
    welcome to GH!
    1) what ever you do, dont use the learner key. thats the white one.
    2) Contact member ADAMBOMB he had a cover for the bottom of the hull for sale not to long ago...not sure if he ever sold it. you may want to check
    3) since its a rebuilt motor you may also want to ask when and if the S/C was rebuilt. that SC needs to be rebuilt every 100 hours.
    what caused the motor to fail the first time?

The supercharger was rebuilt along with the motor less than 1 hour ago. I didn't ask what made it fail though... I'll find out. As for the bottom cover, can I manage a tarp under there somehow? I have to pick it up this Saturday and probably couldn't get one shipped to NW IL by then. (Not that it'd be a bad idea just to have one)

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    Just a thought and a cheap way to protect it. Get an old sheet or blanket,tear a hole in the center of it for it ski eye hook,put the blanket between the bowstop and the ski bumper,snug the ski back up then pul the blanket tight to put a "rachet"style tiedown aournd the ski ON the blanket AT the end of the blanket so that it doesn't flap in the wind........just an idea

That is pretty much what we were thinking with the nylon tarp... I also considered renting a uhaul trailer and just putting the entire rig inside that and securing it down. It might be a little costly but at least I know NOTHING could touch it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by OhNoItsGodzirra View Post
    Hello!

Welcome to the Hulk! Just about any question can be answered here, it's a great resource!

As far as road salt goes, I wouldn't worry about it too much. I just towed my RXP home a few weeks ago in a snow storm, and it did fine. Just make sure you wash it once you get it home. Depending on how bad the "rock peppered" roads are, I really wouldn't worry about it too much either. As long as the trailer has fenders on it, you should be fine.

As far as pre/post riding goes, check the oil when the ski is LEVEL (key word being level) Check the coolant level, and inspect for anything in the bilge (water/oil/gas/tools). Once you get more familiar with your ski, you'll learn what looks normal and what doesn't. Once your ride is over, do the same thing. If you're riding in salt water, remember to do a flush.

I'd also inquire about why the motor and SC needed a rebuild, and ask who did it.

If you're looking to ride with some forum members, check out the mudbug thread. It's a great time! Check out the youtube video in my sig for an idea.

Pauly C.

+1
    "If you're looking to ride with some forum members, check out the mudbug thread. It's a great time! Check out the youtube video in my sig for an idea.

Pauly C."

Dang, Pauly - if this newb. comes to MB on his first year as a PWC owner, you're going to wreck his life: He'll end up making an annual pilgrimage to SOLA, his paycheck will be lost to speed mods, and he'll make friends w/some questionable types...! LOL

JK, guys... welcome to the Hulk. Nose around and ask questions... these guys are the best. (I'm not one of them - I don't know the diff. between a phillip's wrench and a flat-headed one...). And yeah, check out the Mudbug section; something special happens down here during the 2nd weekend of June every year.

+1
    I know, I know, Hell, MB ruined me. I only like fast flat water anymore. Just wish I coulda found out about MB SOONER! lol

Thanks for the invite! I spent a week in Lake Charles about 3 or 4 years ago to work with habitat for humanity. It is a beautiful area!

spend the bucks and upgrade to a new S/C rebuilt S/C suck and can trash a motor the S/C is probably why they rebuilt the engine

Thread Information