Thread: Reeds question.

+1

Reeds question.

When checking reeds... If you hold them up to a light source in front of the cage, should you see any light at all coming thru?.. such as,,, the reeds being not completly flat on the cage? is a lil ok or does it have to be completly shut.. is that a sign of wear? or is that normal? mine have some of them shut and a few that are not seated totally flat.. I have V-Force 1's.

would that be robbing me HP? Or prevent me from getting to top rpm?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bowsniper View Post
    When checking reeds... If you hold them up to a light source in front of the cage, should you see any light at all coming thru......mine have some of them shut and a few that are not seated totally flat.. I have V-Force 1's.

would that be robbing me HP? Or prevent me from getting to top rpm?
    I believe most reeds have published service limits for flatness. I think about 0.002" is the max before they are considered beyond limit. Some can be turned over so the arch faces toward the cage, but I don't VForce can do this.

Chips and cracks are the real big problems, but if they don't lay flat the reeds are allowing air/fuel charge to push back up through the carbs on the compression stroke. So yes, you are getting robbed of some HP if this is happening.

KJ

It's not a huge deal if they aren't perfectly sealed...the crankcase pressure will force them closed, when the piston comes down. As long as the gap isn't too big, they should be ok. I've changed reeds that had petals that looked like they weren't sealing, and I gained nothing. You can also tell they aren't sealing, if there is excessive spit back from the carbs. The big thing to check for, like mentioned above, is fraying/cracking/chipping on the petal tips. Carbon fiber petals are known for this.

+1
    Thanks,, I think they are fine like your saying. Just hunting down my rpm problem. there is absolutely no spitting or sputtering . it idles perfect and takes off good. fires right up too. seems to me that I get everything from the ski right now and it stops gaining rpm at around 7100.soon as ya touch the damm throttle, your already at 3500 or more.lol then zing, your right up too 7000. damm thing has 2 speeds. idle and hold on .lol

Cmon spring..

+1
    Bow,
    I forget where you ended....

Have you tried it with the valves correctly installed AND disconnected so they have to raise all the way?

Also, I agree with those guys. Even brand new, most reeds will show a tiny bit of light on at least a few petals.

+1
    Art, they were in the right way all summer. after i cleaned them, I put them in the wrong way. never ran it like that. they were just dropped back in after they were cleaned. Cant do much till spring gets here.. But yes, I have adjusted the valves and they are ready for testing.

Thats about all I have as far as light goes. some are closed all the way, some are a tiny bit open but all look fine.

Thread Information