Running ski off water

Ski is kept in garage doesnt get really cold, I like to crank everything I own at least once a month just to keep everything moving, I crank and let idle until I feel head get warm then shut off, will this cause any problems. 2000 gp12r

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jaxterra View Post
    Ski is kept in garage doesnt get really cold, I like to crank everything I own at least once a month just to keep everything moving, I crank and let idle until I feel head get warm then shut off, will this cause any problems. 2000 gp12r

Thanks
    when the ambient temperature in the garage is cold enough the exhaust gases going thru a cold engine will not heat up the pipe/stinger enough and will condensate as the exhaust gases cool on the way thru the system when only run a very short time.
    This isn`t an issue when the ski`s are run from warm up and riding. The summer temps usually don`t keep the exhaust wet with condensation when running for a few moments, but when it is cold out the exhaust will cause moisture in the system. just something to think about...
    If you properly winterize and store the ski, you should be good for the whole hibernation period without the need to fire up the ski every few weeks...
    a good indication that there is moisture coming out when idling is you`ll see the whitish smoke similar to when you fire up your car in the cold...

Ok got ya, yea I never winterized this year due to having carbs. rebuilt and replacing all fuel lines,dplate,going premix, and waveaters, just got it back together and fired back up today, thanks to oside Bill for the rebuild fired right up top notch guy and work, guess I'll just get some stabil in fuel and coat cylinders with lube and hopefully resist the temptation of cranking it up.

Quote Originally Posted by jaxterra View Post
    Ok got ya, yea I never winterized this year due to having carbs. rebuilt and replacing all fuel lines,dplate,going premix, and waveaters, just got it back together and fired back up today, thanks to oside Bill for the rebuild fired right up top notch guy and work, guess I'll just get some stabil in fuel and coat cylinders with lube and hopefully resist the temptation of cranking it up.
    Oside is the man!
    My garage usually doesn`t fall below 40*, but this winter has been colder, so I have seen it get down to low 30`s. I placed a bucket of water by the overhead door and have seen it ice over if we have a few solid cold days back to back... If I run the heaters in the cold garage, the tool boxes and anything metal will sweat/fog. same deal with starting the ski. yeah, just spray storage oil all over inside and into the transfer ports. I got a 2ft length of 3/8 wooden dowel, remove the spark plugs, and push down each piston and sray the fogging or storage oil liberally, and move onto the next cylinder. Right b4 I refire the ski, remove all the plugs, place a towel over the plug holes and tap the starter to blow whatever excess oil might be in there. reinstall the plugs and your good to go...

when it`s warmer out and you fire the ski up dry, the low humidity and warmer temps help to evaporate the moisture a lot faster than when it`s cold out...will it do any real damage, IDK, the cylinders are nikasil, but it is entirely possible that rust could form on the crank if enough moisture gets into the case...

Thread Information