Water box position

In order to fit the 4" intake in my speedster I have to turn the water box almost 90 degrees to the right. This makes it so it no longer is laying flat; the end furthest from the pipes sits higher. Is this a problem? I'm not familiar enough with how they work to know if this will affect their function. Does the waterbox have to be able to fill up completely with water? Another option would be to turn it so it lays flat but the pipes go in the side, not the top. Would this work? Or could I make it so the exhaust goes in through thr rear pipe and the rubber pipe goes out the middle one, essentially reversing the flow through the waterbox. This would move it back just enough to clear the elbow. If this a problem can I take a hammer to the corner of the waterbox so it will clear the intake pipe I want to install? Also how hot does the metal pipe going from the engine to the water box get? Is it a problem if the rubber pipe leaving the water box is touching the metal one going into it? I don't want to melt anything and cause a leak in my boat in the middle of the gulf!

Colby

No replies? Come on guys! With the plethora of knowledge on this forum, I KNOW someone has at least a guess.

Is it going to be a problem is the waterbox is installed at a 45 degree angle, or does it have to be laying flat?

Many thanks in advance!

Colby

Banned User
    +1
    The flap in the out-pipe will not be facing in the right direction...
    I'm not sure as to the effects of this.... As long as the low part of the water box stays low, you shouldn't have any water entering your engine. This should be your major focus.

If its a worry, goto a welder, give him your WB, cut it and re-weld it 45 degrees the otherway. $30 job.

+1
    Very few of us on GH have a Speedster and cannot visualize what you are trying to describe. To get input, post a picture so we better understand ...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-02-11_23-36-39_146.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	71.8 KB 
ID:	229275Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-02-11_23-37-39_109.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	229276Ok, here they are. The hose routing is essentially the same. I am still using the factory J-pipe, outlet pipe and location. All I have done is eliminated the resonator and turned the waterbox 90 degrees so I had enough room to fit the Riva Pro-Series 4" intake. Turning it like this though puts it at about a 45 degree angle upward. If this was a muffler, it wouldn't matter how it was positioned since it's flowing air. But since the waterbox flows water, I'm uncertain if it sitting like this will affect how it functions. If the waterbox holds a lot of water, then this will limit how much it can hold. But if there is very little water and it mainly flows exhaust like a muffler, then this orientation shouldn't be an issue. Whatcha think?

Colby

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleonard View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-02-11_23-36-39_146.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	71.8 KB 
ID:	229275Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-02-11_23-37-39_109.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	229276Ok, here they are. The hose routing is essentially the same. I ame still usidng the factory J-pipe, outlet pipe and location. All I have done is eliminated the resonator and turned the waterbox 90 degrees so I had enough room to fit the Riva Pro-Series 4" intake. Turning it like this though puts it at about a 45 degree angle upward. If this was a muffler, it wouldn't matter how it was positioned since it's flowing air. But since the waterbox flows water, I'm uncertain if it sitting like this will affect how it functions. If the waterbox holds a lot of water, then this will limit how much it can hold. But if there is very little water and it mainly flows exhaust like a muffler, then this orientation shouldn't be an issue. Whatcha think?

Colby
    It should be ok. How much higher does it raise the end of the box?
    4-5 inches?
    If it was tilted the other direction would be more of an issue with water build up IMO..
    As far as the j pipe it runs cool enough to touch.
    You do not want to change the flow in the box.
    be sure pipe from box to Hull is not kinked.

Yeah, no more than 5". That was my thought too. Thanks!

Thread Information