Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Banned User
    +1

Will removing sponsons result in injuries or death

Just wondering what the 25mph+ speeds will be like without sponsons? If you corner too hard, will you flip over? What about under 20 mph with hard cornering? What would that be like?

I've always wanted to try it for some 'rear wheel steering'

What is it really like without any sponsons?

home of the dislexic fingers breon's Avatar
    i would tend to believe it wouldnt turn for crap...

+1
    Ive never done it on a RXP but i have done it to an old tigershark and it will go straight line no problem..Just dont turn at high speeds cause it will either flat spin or completely spin around on you..I dont recommend it if you plan on going fast..if you want to mess around at low speeds then it can make the ski fun...

+1
    Just like Sno, I've never done it on an RXP but I do have a 93 SP that never had sponsons that I let my friends kids ride - hell of a lot of fun spinning and you have to "lean out" whenever you want to make a turn otherwise you just slide. I would keep it under 40 on an RXP if you try it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by lolzer View Post

Just wondering what the 25mph+ speeds will be like without sponsons? If you corner too hard, will you flip over? What about under 20 mph with hard cornering? What would that be like?

I've always wanted to try it for some 'rear wheel steering'

What is it really like without any sponsons?
    You have a ER nurse you want to get to know? Going out on a limb here, but I think there are safer ways to meet her........................................

I can tell you this dont do it. I had just put on my worx sponsons and the first few bolts came out while riding and put me into a horrible right turn. Anyways I pulled them off in the middle of the bay and went back purposing so bad I just about beached it and walked back to my truck. It was very bad around 20-30mph. I never tried to accelerate anymore to see if it would help any but from how it felt at 20-30 I didn't care to try.

Banned User
    +1
    Cool thanks for replies... I might try it today just for kicks, Bit scary when you think that its capable of 75mph and one slip up could end in real disaster! Better put the learner key in for this one!

+1
    I will agree with jasonstang. I crashed my ski into a tree at very high speed due to accidently pulling the lanyard setting up for a turn at 81+mph and luckily when the ski hit the tree It had slowed a bit, I was not on it anymore, and it did not hit the tree dead center. It glanced the tree to the left and ripped the right sponson clean off. I had to ride the ski back through some fairly tight river twisties and I can say that it is not something I would recomend. The ski porpoised like a sob unless I leaned all my weight off the left side and right hand turns were totaly unpredictable. Loose would be an understatement.

+1
    I have tried it with the Riva sponsons in the full up position. The rear of the ski would slide like on ice at low speed hard turns until the ski was leaned over enough for the sponsons to get a bite. Talk about a quick snap around 180!!!!, dropped them babies asap.....

+1
    You are a brave man. My mate here has a RXP with Riva sponsons and lifted them all the way up . It would not turn well and slid sideways a lot . He was doing about 45mph and went to turn left , the ski slid sideways then gripped throwing him of the ski sideways which caught his leg in the footwell and completely SNAPPED both leg bones about 6 inches above his ankle. I personally saw this as it happened and it was a horrible injury. After 12 months on crutches and 2 operations he now rides with his sponsons all the way down. I would say completely taking them off would be worse than just running them all the way up !!!!! Just a thought..........

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information