HELP please possible frozen intercooler seadoo rxt x

Hi there everyone, can someone plase help me with a problem of a possible frozen intercooler on an 09 rxt x.I have just come back from 2 weeks holiday and the heating system at home has broken down while i have been away. I do religiously fog the engine , but did not bother with the intercooler protection as stated in the sea doo handbook{ run compressed air through the flush adaptor at 100 psi etc , or remove the hose from the throttle body and run the engine to 4000 rpm and expel any water from the intercooler}.as my garage is heated and freezing was not an issue, or at least i thought so.

My worry is now if any water in the intercooler did freeze while i was away, and we did get temperatures down to some 10 degrees centigrade below freezing, what do i do.

1 Im afraid to start the motor just in case i make any damage ,or blow the motor up.?

2 If the intercooler is damaged how do i tell? , is it just a drop in performance? , or could a damaged intercooler let the motor ingest water and cause chaos.

3 If the intercooler is damaged what can i do?, is it possible to repair them ?, or am i going to have to spend a ridiculous amount of money to get a replacement.

I hope someone here can help as i don't know what to do next.

home of the dislexic fingers breon's Avatar
    you need to remove it and have it pressure tested like they do radiators...if it leaks you will need to replace it...with another oem one or possibley a aftermarket..

+1
    youll have to remove it from the boat first but what i do to check an intercooler is fill the portion up that the air normally blows through with water to the brim while its on end and then slowly jack air pressure to the part the water normally flows through because its easier to block one of those smaller inlet/oulets and then put air to the other and if u see bubbles in the water u know its JUNK and blown out.......if there are no air bubbles then u know its still good then just let it dry out and put it back in................this AFTER u let it completely thaw out obviously......good luck!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the help so far guys, how much air pressure should i pump in to the bit that water normally goes into.

Also if it is junk? , can i repair it or is it a new one

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jetranger View Post
    Thanks for the help so far guys, how much air pressure should i pump in to the bit that water normally goes into.

Also if it is junk? , can i repair it or is it a new one
    i wouldnt go over 25 to 35 psi personally and that should tell u easily if its POPPED or not.....handle it Homey!!!!!!!

Thread Information