Help with starter on 2000 model 1200

Today I finished installing my new 1200 pV motor in the xl1200 2000 model. The starter turned but did not ingage the motor. Then the starter stuck on and I had to DC the battery to make it stop. Even with the key out the starter is turning. What could be wrong. I replaced the bendix with a low hr one that was in good shape. I dont know if the bendix is not hitting the flywheel or the stater is not turning the bendix. Is there any way to tell without pulling the front cover off. Also can I test the stater on the motor before hooking up the exaust. No worse feeling than putting it all together and it not work. I was able to turn the motor by hand before installing it so I know it's not locked up.

Can someone please give me some answers I'm in a bind here. Can I check the sarter by bumping it with the front cover off? That way I can see what the problem is. Also does the gears on the bendix always stay in contact with the flywheel or do they only ingage the flywheel when the starter is moving? thanks

the bendix should not be in contact with the flywheel all the time. that is what the bendix does. gear reduction and it disengages when the engine starts. sounds like the starter is bad or the solinoid (sp?) is not working. ck to make sure that you have the pos and neg on the battery on right. i reversed them on a sea doo and got the same type of issue. if the starter turns the wrong way then the bendix will not engage. and dont ask why i put them on backwards i just did.

+1
    if the starter is turning with out pressing the button, you have either a stuck start relay, ( solenoid) or possibly bad start switch.

Ok solenoid was stuck but I hit it and it is working. I am going to replace it. Now The starter is moving the bendix. But I'm still not getting the motor to move. Can I take the front cover off without pulling the motor. Also I lost the allinment pins when I was putting the front on. Is that a big deal? Is it possable the starter is not moving fast enough to make the bendix engage the flywhell. The teeth on the flywheel are good. I think My problem is somewhere around the bendix. I just dont wanrt to take the motor out again.

+1
    Today I finished installing my new 1200 pV motor in the xl1200 2000 model.
    Where did the engine come from?

Also I lost the allinment pins when I was putting the front on. Is that a big deal?
    what the hell does this mean? Which alignment pins? The ones on the case to the front cover???

Make sure you have only one washer on the case side of the bendix, two washers will bind the bendix and not allow it to spin freely. The allignment pins are important for proper operation of the bendix and stator clearance to the flywheel.

I am not sure but i believe the spring with 2 washers fit into the bushing in the front case to push on the shaft of the bendix. The flat large hardened thrust washer fits on the case side of the bendix shaft. If you put 2 of the large hardened washers on the case end of the bendix you will have a tight bendix. If i am wrong please clearify.

Quote Originally Posted by buckie View Post
    I am not sure but i believe the spring with 2 washers fit into the bushing in the front case to push on the shaft of the bendix. The flat large hardened thrust washer fits on the case side of the bendix shaft. If you put 2 of the large hardened washers on the case end of the bendix you will have a tight bendix. If i am wrong please clearify.
    refer to:
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/yama...e-starter.html

Thread Information