Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Overheating

  1. #1

    Overheating

    I have a 2001 GP1200R with about 150 hours. After riding for 5 or 10 minutes, NOT wide open, the overheating alarm goes off. I need to shut it down for a minute and then good to go for another 5 or 10 minutes. Any suggestions, please? Thanks


  2. #2
    could be a bunch of things. you can run the ski on a traler and pull the line that runs from the pump to make sure you are getting water. either line on the head cover sould let you know in a hurry. this will be a good start. if you are not then check the lines and the pump. if you are getting water then you could have a blocked passage due to salt water damage. the water exits through the exhaust a corroded exhust could stop it from exiting the engine.

  3. #3
    john zigler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    2,545
    +1
    33
    could also get hot, from a "lean condition" from dirty/worn carbs etc.

    start with the cooling system, then go over the fuel system completly. if you have 150 hrs, and have not done any service, it is time to give your machine some "love".

  4. #4
    thanks for your reply. I will certainly give it a try. someone told me i might have a bad Catalitic converter. they also said to get a D-plate and a temp chip for the probe. Does that make sense? I had the carbs rebuilt at about 110 hours

  5. #5
    THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    6,194
    +1
    535
    Quote Originally Posted by jerseyrider View Post
    thanks for your reply. I will certainly give it a try. someone told me i might have a bad Catalitic converter. they also said to get a D-plate and a temp chip for the probe. Does that make sense? I had the carbs rebuilt at about 110 hours
    If it's your exhaust overheat light then yes you have a cat. converter coming apart.

  6. #6
    i had the exact same problem a few years ago on my 03 gp1300, it was my catalytic converter broken. Put the D plate and chip in it and it ran fine after that

  7. #7
    Happily Self-Employed WFO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    12,799
    +1
    449
    Quote Originally Posted by JIM'S PERFORMANCE View Post
    If it's your exhaust overheat light then yes you have a cat. converter coming apart.
    +1

    engine overheat and exhaust overheat are 2 very different things

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post
    +1

    engine overheat and exhaust overheat are 2 very different things
    WFO is right, there are 2 different warning lights on that gauge cluster that resemble engine overheat or exhaust overheat so make sure which one it is.

  9. #9
    ok great thanks guys, i'm pretty certain it is the exhaust overheat light but i'll check the manual to make sure

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Stage 2 overheating- The saga continues!
    By idizzy in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-29-2006, 06:08 PM
  2. Solved Riva Level 2 Overheating Problem
    By RXDI2 in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-11-2006, 05:03 AM
  3. RXP engine overheating!!?!?!?
    By WildBill9000 in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 06-15-2006, 10:33 PM
  4. Overheating with reflash ecu?
    By rxpstan in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-04-2006, 11:08 AM
  5. Overheating question
    By carlo4tech in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-25-2005, 08:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •