Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Buying another ski, help me choose!

As the title states, I am in the market for another pwc. I recall reading a post here where someone a lot wiser than I said that the best way to get your wife off your back with your hobby is to get her involved. Well I took that advice and we had a blast for a couple of weeks on the SL's on holidays. So the situation now is that I have been given a very sweet offer on the SL900's and I am probably going to let them go and make space for something a lot more stable on the water than the SL for the wife.

So the main criteria is stability, particularly in the chop, hole shot no big deal, ride 2 up (properly), maybe good top end for me when I ride, reliability and a relaxing ride. I have my 785 pro which will be ready this year, so I will be riding the pro in the chop when we get out - though not cutting through it instead jumping it. Personally I love the SL hull, makes me feel 20 years younger when it gets rough. Makes me feel 20 years older the next day though

Important note, this is to be a stock application I won't be jumping into performance mods. That's what the pro is for Ok so for choices I have narrowed this down to;

Polaris: I have always wanted an MSX-140 (wouldn't buy any other variant) but they are way rare and generally command about 7K+ in Australia and when I see the deals you guys are doing I can't bring myself to spending this much! I would jump at one that needs a top end, typically about 60% is shaved off when not running but again quite rare. Virage TXI, I'm not a huge fan of the shape but I recognize it is a fairly big hull so I assume should be good in the chop.

Yami: GPRs are plentiful in these parts. I have read a little about these PV engines, not sure on their reliability (maybe too many riva bolt ons reduces reliability) but as I understand they are a very stable chop loving hull. Read about the pump shoe issues as well, seems every manufacturer has their own issues. They do look tough, I must admit.

Seadoo: Would never consider, seem to be as unreliable as all hell. Most every person I meet with a Seadoo tells of engine rebuilds every second season.

Kawi: Again not considering.

4 Stroke anything - still too expensive........

Whatcha guys think?

+1
    Based on everything you've said, I would be leaning towards the Virage. If it were me though, I would also consider the 1200 carbed model.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    I agree with Crazy, try to avoid the TXI model with fuel injection. Should you have an issue, it will be alot to repair it, and you don't have the luxury of parts available to you. Carbed Virage all the way.

I can't speak for the MSX 140, but have seen some water intrusion issues popping up lately.

Have you considered a SLTX? Are those available near you? Very stable in the chop, quite reliable, strong acceleration, and mid to upper 50's top speed. (leaves room for mods just in case )

+1
    How about a SLT? its 10.5 feet long, extremly stable, carries 2 people easily, gets on plane quick for its size. does 48-50 mph. good on gas compared to a Pro.. I'll mail ya mine cheap. Drop a 780 motor in it and you'll have 12 more hp automatically.

it holds 11 gallons or so of gas.. goes for 4 hours wot. you dont need any mods on it. it has sponsons and is playful with 180's and 360's. She would feel very safe on it. its 530 lbs. which is light for a big ski. some of the other brands are 800 lbs.

no supercharger or sprags to blow up. cheap parts everywhere. Just a thought. MSX is nice like Marions,, I rode it. handles like a cadillac. heavy, gets on plane quick and you have to dive into the turns with it, or else the hull gripping could throw ya off.lol
    Keith's virage ran great too. lil smaller, lil more pep in its step too. 2 would fit on it looks like..

or go allout and buy a 300HP kawi due for sale next month!

+1
    Yep a Carbed Virage or i hate to say it but the GPR's are nice or even a 97-99 SLTX or a X45 if you can find one

+1
    You cant go wrong with the GPR.

+1
    I agree with Beerdart but if the ski is for your wife then a Virage would be nice but if it's for you the GPR is a very buildable ski and theres already tons of performance parts out there by you already

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1

Arrow Comparing Polaris models; MSX 140, Virage, Genesis

I have both 2004 MSX 140 and 2002 Virage TXi (1165cc). Both are Ficht fuel injected. I have bought and sold two other fuel injected Virage, another TXi and a Virage i (2 cylinder Ficht). All are rated for three passengers.

Almost every PWC is happier with one less person than the max passenger rating. 2 people on a 3 person PWC works well. Three people can be quite comfortable on a four person PWC

Within the Polaris model range, the MSX hull has no peer in the rough. Much smoother ride in choppy and medium rough water. Turned down MSX exhaust tip makes the engine quieter at idle with no significant power loss at speed.

The Virage hull has a more modest Vee bottom than the MSX, which means the rough water ride is OK, but not as good as the MSX. Exhaust exit is inside the pump tunnel which means the idle noise level can be annoying, especially compared to the quiet MSX.

Both hulls are stable at speed with 2 or even three people aboard. The MSX likes to lean into the turns, while the Virage is a flatter turning style. Aftermarket sponsons (made in New Zealand for the MSX) tighten up the MSX turning.

The MSX hull is stable at rest with one or two people, with the Virage slightly more stable at rest and idle speeds with heavier passenger loads. I recommend adding a boarding step to ease deep water re-boarding. Compared to the Virage the MSX has a larger rear deck which helps with re-boarding, but the seat back and handle is higher from the water's surface than the Virage.

The king of stability among Polaris is the Genesis hull. Rated for four passengers, it is only a few inches longer overall than the Virage, but is wider. The Genesis hull seems well liked for its stability, and overall top speed isn't much less than the 1200 Virage. Overall handling is similar to the Virage.

The 1999 Genesis hull has a unique exhaust which exits from the bottom of the hull on either side of the ride plate. 2000+ Genesis have a more normal exhaust in the pump tunnel. I have not ridden a 1999 Genesis, but the underwater exhaust would seem to promise a quieter ride.

Polaris used their PLANET sound reduction system in later model years (2000 onwards). This consists of several tuned resonator sections which connect along the side of the exhaust flow path after the waterbox. There is a noticeable reduction in the amount of engine drone and noise level, but PLANET does not provide complete 'quiet'.

I attribute much of the remaining sound level to the placement of the exhaust exit inside the pump tunnel, which audibly resonates at various RPM. Interestingly, there is a flat area on the Virage hull for an MSX like exhaust exit. If I have enough motivation, perhaps someday I will modify my own Virage to use the MSX exhaust tip.

The late 1990s SLTX and SLT hulls are the predecessor to the Virage hull. Similar ride characteristics to the Virage with less modern upper deck styling.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Ficht fuel injection - Ficht scares many of the carburetor guys, while others bemoan the inability to significantly modify the engine. There is also a perception that Ficht is difficult to diagnose and repair, and is prone to problems.

My perspective goes something like this.

- The Ficht system is effortless to use. No choke, no fuel shut-off valve, no fuel filter or carburetors to service, clean, adjust, or tinker with.

- Put the lanyard in, press Start and it starts. Every time. Right away. Nothing to do, or forget to do. Just get on and ride. The EMM automatically compensates for air temperature and air pressure variations. Fuel mixture is just right at all throttle positions. Throttle lever response is linear and smooth, with no dead spots or lunges.

- Fuel economy is substantially better than the carburetor engines. Virtually no unburned fuel goes out the exhaust, which is not only environmentally positive, but it means you aren't paying for fuel that is being wasted.

- Along with the fuel economy, Ficht engines don't smoke. Even at idle there is virtually no 2-stroke smoke.

- 2002-2004 Ficht engines are rated California 2006 Low Emissions compliant, despite being made several years before 2006. The Polaris Ficht engines were among the first to meet the then-new emissions standards, and even today they are exempt from many of the 2-stroke bans in some areas. The 1999-2001 Ficht engines are also fairly good in this regard, but not officially rated as such.

- Reliability. There are several well known potential issues. Each has a known method of correction. Once corrected, the Ficht PWC can be quite reliable.

- Operating cost. I think the ongoing fuel savings and reduced hassle of the simpler engine operation compensate for things like having a spare $100 TPS on hand. Even a $700 EMM repair tends to be a one time event.

- Ficht Diagnostics. Definitely different from a carburetor engine, but not really any more difficult. Most of the time all you need are a few home built diagnostic items, voltmeter, and some understanding of how the system works.

I have never needed to check my piston wash, or worry about a lean burn piston melt down. Spring tune-up consists of installing three new spark plugs.

+1
    the fitch is Good until your fuel regulator falls off and it starts to deto a piston and then the chunks of the piston start to beat the piston off the dome until it throws a rod through your case YIKES now thats not so GOOD !!!!!!!!!!!
    but this problem can be avoided also by using the Kawi regulator

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information