Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Feedback on Sponsons

Looking for some feedback on sponsons. Has anyone added a set of sponsons to their SL model? I'm not looking for high performance gains, only to increase the stability. If you have added any to your SL, can you please provide some feedback on the make used, and the positive, or negative results.

Thanks..Terre

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    xlint89 - I remember your post, and have the SLT on my radar, just wanted to see if anyone else has used anything they like. Thanks....

+1
    Using anything more agressive than the SLT sponson (i.e. SLX or after market rudder type) you will lose the playful nature of the SL.

Meaning you will have more predictable turning, but will lose the ability to do donuts and tail slides if you like that sort of ride. (which I think most people do)

Using them along with the ride plate and intake grate you just bought will really help the SL's handling in choppy conditions with little to no effect of top speed.

You asked for opinions, and that's what I have to offer.

+1
    i have SLT sponson's here, if you need......

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnycyclone View Post
    Looking for some feedback on sponsons. Has anyone added a set of sponsons to their SL model? I'm not looking for high performance gains, only to increase the stability. If you have added any to your SL, can you please provide some feedback on the make used, and the positive, or negative results.

Thanks..Terre
    If will help stability when moving. Sitting still it will still be a bitch with two pepole.

xlint89 - I wasn't saying I didn't value your opinion. What I meant by, they are on my radar, is I'm looking for a set, but haven't found any as of yet. I also have an 01 SLH with sponsons, so I thought those might be a good choice too. It's nice to have options, on what to buy if possible, rather than being limited to one choice. The one choice is not always available. I admit my knowledge base on water craft is limited, and only ask questions in hopes of learning what works, and also what doesn't work. Thanks for your opinion, it wasn't ignored.

+1
    I have beach house sponsons on my Pro, which are thin and gets into the water(depending on many mounting variables!) stream and grabs hard when you turn, the more you turn, the more turning you will get. and I mean the ski will almost stop for split second, dunk the nose,pop out and your gone with 2 or 3 G's trying to throw you off..

with a Pro hull, its digs even harder than a sl does. I had a sl myself. I think it doesnt really matter with having sponsons so much, its , ive jumped huge waves with it with none.. remember too if you do jump waves at a 45 degree angle to them you with sponsons on, you will grab the water hard when you do hit. they will grab and throw ya whatever direction thier pointed.. with none, you just slide off the wave. big difference, on the Pro, it has a deep v hull which grabs hard naturally from design, the sl's is more forgiving,

the best thing to have is TRIM, to keep that nose down on that ski. And fill it to the brim with gas. Load the bucket with stuff too.lol
    And lean forward ! No second riders, thats a pita...
    A ride plate would make a huge difference in tracking also.. and with a r n d grate on it, your safe at all speeds. even in chop it works good..

Any sponson that looks like a blade is gonna cut hard if its positioned to be in the water stream as you turn.

Next time you ride it,, do this.....move your body back n forth and up n down till you "feel the sweet spot on the ski" The ski will actually rise when your balanced.. I use to do it all the tiime to get it to do 50. theres actually a lil sweet spot while at wot..you just need to find it..

when you find it, the ski will rock fore and aft a tiny bit,,and right in the middle,, is your sweet spot. Try it sometime..

+1
    I think the stock sponsons do a fine job on the SL hulls, they are designed for the rec rider which is really what these hulls are all about. The turning is predictable and they wont catapult you in a different direction. I personally added the Ocean Pro (Ocean) plate with the stock sponsons made an incredible difference to stability and completely eliminated porpoising. You can still get them brand new from Ken at OP for about 100 bucks.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnycyclone View Post
    xlint89 - I wasn't saying I didn't value your opinion. What I meant by, they are on my radar, is I'm looking for a set, but haven't found any as of yet. I also have an 01 SLH with sponsons, so I thought those might be a good choice too. It's nice to have options, on what to buy if possible, rather than being limited to one choice. The one choice is not always available. I admit my knowledge base on water craft is limited, and only ask questions in hopes of learning what works, and also what doesn't work. Thanks for your opinion, it wasn't ignored.
    I didn't mean it to sound like that. Just saying that IS my experience and wanted to share it with you and anyone else reading this.

Another option I believe that will work well are the OEM Pro 785 sponsons.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information