Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The $650 Genesis

I rescued another one today.

Saw this one pop up on Craigslist for $800 and went and took a look. I was hoping for something in better shape as a donor for my Genesis, but like so many others it had been left out in the sun and the seat and trim was dry and starting to rot. There went my hopes of finding a new seat for mine!

I offered the guy $650 and he took it. I figure I can get $400-500 for the trailer that I don't need. If I give up on the ski and can't get it to run, I know I can get a few hundred for the parts after keeping the stuff I need and I'll easily break even on it and probably make a few bucks. Why not!?

Now the bad news:
    -No title. It's been sold at least twice before I got to it. I have a BOS and have found the original owner's info. If I decide I want to keep it, I will try to track them down and see if they'll sign for the lost title, or I'll file for a bonded title if I have to.

-It is not currently running - the stator was removed and is MIA. The guy I bought it from said he brought it to a local shop and that's what they said was wrong with it. His friend pulled it out and was supposed to order a replacement but never got it.

I have my doubts that the stator was even a problem. This is my first FFI machine but from everything I've read about them here I would have leaned toward the EMM first. (The guy claimed the shop tested the EMM and it was OK.)

I was hoping the stator would be the same as the carb'd 1200 as I have at least one spare on had, but a quick look shows that the part numbers are different....So looks like I need to track down and FFI stator if I even want to try to get it to run.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6zbt36.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	229713

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    What model year is this Genesis?

How is the rest of the engine? Compression, internal rust?

What condition is the flywheel in? Any magnets loose, cracked, or damaged?

The Ficht EMM has value. I suggest calling DFI Technologies. Ask what the cost would be for them to check over the EMM, and possibly upgrade any known weak components. That way, you will have a known good EMM with matching injectors. That alone has significant resale value.

Once you know the EMM is good, then all you need is a good Ficht stator and you have a high likelihood of getting it running.

It's an '01 - same as my carb'd one.

Engine compartment looks good. Flywheel is flawless.

I need to put the bendix back in and slap the flywheel cover back on it so I turn it over to check compression. If I can find time this week, I'll pull the plugs and see if I can scope the cylinders to see what kind of shape their in before I turn it over.

The MFI only shows 32.5 hours....which of course is unlikely. It was last stickered in '08.

I guess I also need to try to test out the fuel pump before I get too far. I will not sink a lot of money in to this thing. If it looks like it's going to be another money hole, I'll part it out!

One thing that caught my eye, having never touched an FFI engine before, was that the throttle body is actually an unmachined, hollow Bing carburetor body. I guess they found a use for all those Bing carbs when they realized they sucked!

+1
    Nice Buy !!!!!!!!!!

+1
    Since Ficht cylinder heads have the spark plugs at a rather shallow angle, you may need to remove the fuel injectors to see down into the cylinders. Just ease off the two bolts on each injector, then lift the entire assembly up and away. Set it down so that the injector tips are not damaged. No need to separate the injectors from the brackets, or even disconnect any fuel lines. The whole thing can just be lifted up and shifted to the side.

When you put it back on, tighten the injector bolts evenly so the injector sits squarely in the cylinder head bore, and do not over torque the bolts.

Be sure to check for missing or loose parts, such as the TPS on the rear end of the throttle shaft, and the CPS sensor in top of the flywheel housing.

Another member on here recently recounted the resurrection of his 2001 Ficht. Turns out the wire harness itself had some bad connections which were causing trouble. Look for that thread - has some good notes

It's a JEEP thing...You wouldn't Understand dirtdude35's Avatar
    I saw that on craigslist. good luck with it.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Since Ficht cylinder heads have the spark plugs at a rather shallow angle, you may need to remove the fuel injectors to see down into the cylinders. Just ease off the two bolts on each injector, then lift the entire assembly up and away. Set it down so that the injector tips are not damaged. No need to separate the injectors from the brackets, or even disconnect any fuel lines. The whole thing can just be lifted up and shifted to the side.

When you put it back on, tighten the injector bolts evenly so the injector sits squarely in the cylinder head bore, and do not over torque the bolts.

Be sure to check for missing or loose parts, such as the TPS on the rear end of the throttle shaft, and the CPS sensor in top of the flywheel housing.

Another member on here recently recounted the resurrection of his 2001 Ficht. Turns out the wire harness itself had some bad connections which were causing trouble. Look for that thread - has some good notes
    CPS! I noticed the open hole in the top of the mag housing and wasn't sure what it was for. I know it's just a timing plug on the carb'd models. I'm going to have to follow wires around in the hull and hope the PO just popped it off and set it aside when he was pulling the stator.

The TPS also looks questionable...I've read the threads on here about potential replacements from outboards. I'll face that road when I get to it!

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdude35 View Post
    I saw that on craigslist. good luck with it.
    It looked better in the pics than it did in real life, but after the 1 hour drive up there to see it I was happy to get it for $650.

BTW, where do you ride? I've spent the last 2 summers on Eagle mountain. It's decent but I don't love it. Lake worth is about the closest to me. I need to go pick up some 2011 stickers next time I'm off during the day....it's almost time to start de-winterizing the skis and do a little cold water riding!

It's a JEEP thing...You wouldn't Understand dirtdude35's Avatar
    I usually ride a eagle mtn. It's not the closest to me but where I launch it is free. And one of my favorite places to ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bgaidan View Post
    CPS! I noticed the open hole in the top of the mag housing and wasn't sure what it was for... I'm going to have to follow wires around in the hull ..
    Be sure to ohm check the CPS and the two temp sensors.

Air temp sensor is tucked under the flame arrestor base, water temp sensor is in the exhaust manifold.

If the start solenoid has a metal backing plate, plan to replace that someday. Especially if it is black body color and has the metal plate. Don't wait for it to fail as it can kill the battery and starter if it refuses to stop cranking...

+1
    That's a deal, and a steal. Well done. Wish some of those would travel 10,000 miles south west!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information