Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Changed rideplate and impeller....What a difference!

I changed my impeller to a 13/22 scat-trak and changed to a R&D rideplate yesterday. Took it out today on the San Diego bay. The water was rough, for the bay, but the handling and stability with R&D was amazing. I had no idea it would make such a big difference. The impeller didn't do much for low end, but mid to high end showed a big difference. Didn't get any GPS speeds, but it was noticeable faster, even on the chop. Dream-o-meter showed 77 mph.

AWA MEMBER
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 64physhy View Post
    I changed my impeller to a 13/22 scat-trak and changed to a R&D rideplate yesterday. Took it out today on the San Diego bay. The water was rough, for the bay, but the handling and stability with R&D was amazing. I had no idea it would make such a big difference. The impeller didn't do much for low end, but mid to high end showed a big difference. Didn't get any GPS speeds, but it was noticeable faster, even on the chop. Dream-o-meter showed 77 mph.

did you notice the intake grate hanging below the ride plate, also did you notice the ride plate didnt look flush to the hull was too deep? I have found these problems with a brand new ski never in the water, I want to fix them but cant find a thread on it

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RickWhite View Post
    did you notice the intake grate hanging below the ride plate, also did you notice the ride plate didnt look flush to the hull was too deep? I have found these problems with a brand new ski never in the water, I want to fix them but cant find a thread on it
    Rick, the intake grate hanging lower than the transom plate is normal, even with the stock grate.

You will not want to "true" this surface. Doing so will actually slow your ski down.

The feedback that I have read about the R&D SHO Plate is that it is not a good "offshore" plate and tend to be "loose" when compared with the stock plate. Was the handling much improved or was that big smile on your face from the speed gain?

+1
    The handling was better, too. I used the stock spacers on it. I think the people who say it doesn't handle as well offshore are either running it without the spacers or with extra shims.

Rick, the transom plate steps down from the intake grate, and the ride plate steps down from the transom plate, The steps are about 1/8" (Or steps up, depending on how you look at it, intake grate hangs down the lowest)

AWA MEMBER
    +1
    Thanks again for the Help not used to a ride plate transom whatever and intake grate........Guess I was riding a honda too long

Whats that whistling noise? jtskier11's Avatar
    +1

Did that Skat prop make the low end any worse or better?? Glad you like the R&D plate. I want to give that plate a try this summer.

+1
    It really didn't do anything better or worse out of the hole. As soon as it gets up out of the water and takes off though, I can really tell a difference. I still touched the limiter once or twice on top end, but nothing like before. I thought 13/22 would be steep enough on the trailing edge for the low level of mods I have, but I think another degree would have benefitted it even more. If your reflash moves the rev limiter up, you wouldn't hit the limiter with this prop. Depending on what all you've done, you may need to go steeper. A guideline I used was by looking at the performance packages and finding the one closest to the mods I've done, and using the prop that goes with that kit. One of the kits said 13/22 and the other said 13/23. I guess I should have gone with the 23, but I'm still not disappointed with the 13/22...it's still a big improvement. You won't be disappointed with the R&D plate. From what I've read, and from the way mine feels, it's the best all-around plate. Since you're in KS, I doubt you do much ocean riding, so any of the plates out there should be good, depending on what you want out of it (speed, handling, both)
    Quote Originally Posted by jtskier11 View Post

Did that Skat prop make the low end any worse or better?? Glad you like the R&D plate. I want to give that plate a try this summer.

+1
    It really didn't do anything better or worse out of the hole. As soon as it gets up out of the water and takes off though, I can really tell a difference. I still touched the limiter once or twice on top end, but nothing like before. I thought 13/22 would be steep enough on the trailing edge for the low level of mods I have, but I think another degree would have benefitted it even more. If your reflash moves the rev limiter up, you wouldn't hit the limiter with this prop. Depending on what all you've done, you may need to go steeper. A guideline I used was by looking at the performance packages and finding the one closest to the mods I've done, and using the prop that goes with that kit. One of the kits said 13/22 and the other said 13/23. I guess I should have gone with the 23, but I'm still not disappointed with the 13/22...it's still a big improvement. You won't be disappointed with the R&D plate. From what I've read, and from the way mine feels, it's the best all-around plate. Since you're in KS, I doubt you do much ocean riding, so any of the plates out there should be good, depending on what you want out of it (speed, handling, both)
    Let me see if I have this right... you are using a skat 13/22 with the mods in your sig (stock ECU) and your knocking on the limiter? I have a 13/23 (14/22 true) skat and I'm only turning 7500 @ 71.3mph. Let me ask you this, did your rpms change when you swapped out the rideplate? or did you do the prop and rideplate at the same time?

edit: what are you using to verify rpms out of curiosity?

+1
    did you check the pitch on that prop?? i just received a " 13/22 " skat swirl prop from riva and the leading edges where all 14 and the trailing edges where 21 22 and 23, this is the worst prop ive seen.. i repitch it as best as i could but i still feel a slight vibration from this prop down low, the dynafly i had prior did not vibrate at low speeds.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information