Things to look for. Possible purchase.

Hi everyone, this is my first post and have a simple question. I have found a 2006 F-12x with 20 hours on it for a very reasonable price. It hasn't been run in at least 2 seasons. I'm going to look at it this coming weekend, including running it on the hose. What should I be on the look out for? I am very mechanically inclined, but haven't had a pwc for about 10 years. The other stipulation is the owner will have it serviced and ready for the water before I buy, but the price goes up $500, or I can service myself and save the money. Any help or input would be very appreciated.

Thank you.

+1
    Put it in the water and water test it before you buy it. It needs to run 6K RPM minimum without throwing any malfunction codes. Take a flashlight and an inspection mirror and check out the hidden turbo/wastegate actuator for severe rust [common problem]. If it checks out ok then I would give him $4K if "pristine" [$4500] with a good trailer. You can easily service it yourself.

Thanks for the reply. I will be sure to check that.

I would like to put it in the water, but everything is still in the frozen state here in PA! I thought I was getting a good deal @ $5000? No good at that price??

Thanks for the heads up. I would like to run it in the water, but everything is still in a frozen state here in PA!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by diamondjimtwo View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. I would like to run it in the water, but everything is still in a frozen state here in PA!
    Take it out in the ocean or head south. I would not buy it without a water test. One of my '06s that was supposed to be working OK actually had a stopped up exhaust port and almost burned the exhaust system down during the test ride. I bought it for a thousand less.

Thread Information