Thread: Intake on GPR's

+1

Intake on GPR's

The other night I went out to torque down some bolts on my gpr. Sometimes, I don't know my own strength and I normally use a torque wrench for everything because of this. So I am up under my ski and start torquing down the ride plate bolts and the pump shoe bolts. I get to the intake, glad it happened, and snap one off inside the pump shoe. So I take the intake off which I had sealed up very nicely with black RTV sealant. I have heard people say that the stuff will normally come out after riding, but mine was still intact. The key to it is to smooth it out with a wet finger and let cure for a few days. Works great. Well, I had to take the grate off to get the bolt out. Thanks Mikel70 for his special vice grip pliers. I found out I was using too long of a bolt. So we wanted to ride and I didn't have time to seal up the intake, so I just bolted it back on.
    Here's the kicker. We get out on the water and I do a few open throttle runs and I notice my ski is a little bit bouncy. In the superman position it gets even worse. I never had this before. So if you seal up your intake it will take some of the bounce out, Mikel70 found this to be true as well. Not sure as to why, but both our skis bounced horribly. The more bounce, the slower the ski will go. So if some of you guys are having problems with bouncing at high speeds, try and seal up your intake grate.
    SHOOTER

+1

Wink

Another ole skool tuner told me he does the same thing on all his skis.

+1
    Hey Rich, what about sealing up the plate. I know people have said its made the skis real sloppy while trying to ride, but on the seadoos we always sealed up the ride plate. Have you ever tried sealing it up?
    SHOOTER

. I found out I was using too long of a bolt.
    If you look at the manuel the intake grate has 2 different length bolts. The front uses a 6 x 30 mm and the rear uses a 6 x 20 mm. So if you have them mixed up it could cause a problem

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by shooter98xpl View Post
    Hey Rich, what about sealing up the plate. I know people have said its made the skis real sloppy while trying to ride, but on the seadoos we always sealed up the ride plate. Have you ever tried sealing it up?
    SHOOTER
    If you are talking about sealing the gap from the pump shoe to ride plate, Billy tried it and it changed his handling drastically. It ejected him twice. I hear of another camp that does seal their ride plate gaps, but I think they adjust their handling to compensate.

+1
    eh, not willing to take the chance of getting tossed off the gpr at 70 mph, hahahaha. Thanks man, just wondering why they don't seal it. I'll take a picture of my seal job on the gpr once I get done with it.
    Hey Rich, if the intake sits in the hull really well except on one side. It sticks out just a tad bit (front part of the hull) and in the rear it sits in just a tad bit. I don't think this will reduce drastic loss in speed though do you?
    SHOOTER

+1
    You pump shoe is probably a little crooked or the grate is a little off. I think you are probably OK, but shoot me some pics and we can see about it

Thread Information