+1

DESS key go with the ECU or MPEM on 4tec?

I'm confused, I have had someone tell me the DESS keys goes with the ECU and I have had someone tell me it goes the MPEM. Could someone tell me which one it is. Thanks

+1
    04-11 the key's are stored in the ECM 07+ do not have MPEM's

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by beerdart View Post
    04-11 the key's are stored in the ECM 07+ do not have MPEM's
    Thank you..that is what I thought

So 02 and 03 the keys are mated to the mpem?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 8 is enough View Post
    So 02 and 03 the keys are mated to the mpem?
    Possible im not sure on the 02-03.

+1
    Found this in the Candoo thread. After reading all MPEMs from 02-06 are compatible I would say all keys for the 4-tec are stored in the ECM.

MPEM's:

2002 - 2006 (and a few 2007's) have MPEM's. The mpem is used mainly as a means to control power distribution, but also control the accessories, or options(VTS, Depth Finder, Compass, Exterior Air Temp, Speed Odometer, Bilge Pump, Lake Temp). You have to let the MPEM know that these options are there (or not there), and the MPEM stores these option settings in internal memory. For whatever reason, these internal settings seem to get corrupted in internal memory (usually lost) usually when the battery is disconnected for a long time. (this shouldn't happen from disconnecting the battery, but it does for some reason) When I bought my 2004 RXP winter project ski, VTS was missing from the options list. So I have seen this phenomena first hand. Using Candoopro, you can select the appropriate options for your setup. You are not really turning them on/off you are telling the mpem to test for them or not. If you have the option disabled but installed it will throw a fault. If you have it the option enabled but not installed it will throw a fault. It has to exactly match your ski configuration.

Any MPEM from those years can be used as a replacement for any year and ski model. You just need to select the appropriate options.

When they discontinued the MPEM's and started controlling the skis with just the ECU (starting in 2007), the options are reduced to VTS, Lake Temp/ Speed Sensor, and Depth Sounder.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by beerdart View Post
    Found this in the Candoo thread. After reading all MPEMs from 02-06 are compatible I would say all keys for the 4-tec are stored in the ECM.

MPEM's:

2002 - 2006 (and a few 2007's) have MPEM's. The mpem is used mainly as a means to control power distribution, but also control the accessories, or options(VTS, Depth Finder, Compass, Exterior Air Temp, Speed Odometer, Bilge Pump, Lake Temp). You have to let the MPEM know that these options are there (or not there), and the MPEM stores these option settings in internal memory. For whatever reason, these internal settings seem to get corrupted in internal memory (usually lost) usually when the battery is disconnected for a long time. (this shouldn't happen from disconnecting the battery, but it does for some reason) When I bought my 2004 RXP winter project ski, VTS was missing from the options list. So I have seen this phenomena first hand. Using Candoopro, you can select the appropriate options for your setup. You are not really turning them on/off you are telling the mpem to test for them or not. If you have the option disabled but installed it will throw a fault. If you have it the option enabled but not installed it will throw a fault. It has to exactly match your ski configuration.

Any MPEM from those years can be used as a replacement for any year and ski model. You just need to select the appropriate options.

When they discontinued the MPEM's and started controlling the skis with just the ECU (starting in 2007), the options are reduced to VTS, Lake Temp/ Speed Sensor, and Depth Sounder.
    Thanks...learned something new.

Beerdart is absolutely correct; all the 4-TEC's store the keys in the ECU.

Thanks, that is good info.

Thread Information