Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How to keep 2 stroke from blowing up

Firstly I would like to say that throughout my life I have always been a fan of 2 strokes but since I have entered this world of PWC I have completely changed my mind.
    I bought a 2003 GP1300 and blew the motor apart within the first 3 hours of having it. The ski now sits in pieces and am not sure what to do.
    I know I could buy a 4 stroke ski and have reliability and power but I dont want to spend $4000 on the conversion.
    I would really like to just rebuild the motor I have but am very weary that it will blow again.
    My brother and a few friends all have had this same ski and all have blown thier motors.
    Is there anyway to make a 2 stroke reliable?
    Are these motors just all junk?

well I feel your pain, but that is a fairly poor statement.
    without going insane here, the 1300 is a high strung engine period which needs to be well maintained and looked after... Many people get the wrong impression when they buy a 2 stroke GPR with little or no knowledge or inadequate care, or some hidden abuse from a previous owner... There is usually a reason for almost every engine issue regarding these engines here...
    From new to buying used, you just have to stay on top of them...
    some last a long time without incident, some crap out early on. Riding conditions also have a hand in how long this ski will last. and lastly, there are known inherent problems with the 1200`s and 1300`s, all of which are discussed here in length...

premix, injection, correct cable adjustment, fresh water or salt water abuse, integrity of engine/hull, service, upgrading known issues, rider knowledge of craft, oils and fuels used, band-aid or correct repair, the list can go on...
    these ski can go on for a few hundred hours "properly" maintained. and then shit will happen, broken crank, ring lands, air leak, oil hose pops off, running the oil tank to low on oil, carb`s in need of rebuild on carb`d ski`s, etc etc, then BOOM is inevitable...

Thanx man - excellent write up n nice rig you got there!!
    Yea it just really sucks that so many things can go wrong and its not fun being stranded in the middle of the ocean with your motor blown to pieces. Just not sure what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by gp69rxp View Post
    Thanx man - excellent write up n nice rig you got there!!
    Yea it just really sucks that so many things can go wrong and its not fun being stranded in the middle of the ocean with your motor blown to pieces. Just not sure what to do.
    Thank You
    oh, I know!...lol... 13 miles from the dock is no fun either!...
    welcome to the forum, kick back, read up and decide what ya want to do, or put the ski and parts up for sale, make a few bucks and start with something fresh...

+1
    Have you determined the cause of the failure? What ever you do, figure that out before you put another motor in there or you will be destined to have another failure.
    Like P/R said, if properly taken care of and you do not go crazy with the mods, these engines can last a very long time.

Well I bought the ski used and at the time it was a "good" deal so maybe someone just hacked it together for a quick sale. Who knows what happened , that was last summer n since then the ski is in 346,687,412 pieces to be exact!
    I feel better at least knowing that I can start fresh and go over everything with a fine tooth comb to make sure its all legit (something I didn't do when I first bought it) and at the end of the day if I take care of it and do a thorough job of rebuilding I will have a reliable ski - to a degree.
    My main concern was whether or not there was something wrong with these motors in general that makes them blow
    PS - not sure if this makes a difference but I did NOT have a D-plate installed at the time and I heard that this will clog and blow your motor.

Well I bought the ski used and at the time it was a "good" deal so maybe someone just hacked it together for a quick sale. Who knows what happened , that was last summer n since then the ski is in 346,687,412 pieces to be exact!
    I feel better at least knowing that I can start fresh and go over everything with a fine tooth comb to make sure its all legit (something I didn't do when I first bought it) and at the end of the day if I take care of it and do a thorough job of rebuilding I will have a reliable ski - to a degree.
    My main concern was whether or not there was something wrong with these motors in general that makes them blow
    PS - not sure if this makes a difference but I did NOT have a D-plate installed at the time and I heard that this will clog and blow your motor.
    I never heard of an engine failure from the cat breaking up, it will run very poorly and should trip a warning light. but otherwise, yeah there are some do`s and don`ts on the GPRs. a ton of info is here in the threads. and plenty of pictures. Like Kirk suggested find out what the root cause of the failure was first then proceed... you can only guarantee your own work, if you have good work ethics, and a clean work environment, and plenty of patience, your good to go!...

Thanks man! Yea im going to look into it and find the root like you said. I build helicopters for the Navy for a living - I think I can build a jetski!

+1
    The GPR can be a very reliable watercraft if maintained like mentioned above.

Thanks man! Yea im going to look into it and find the root like you said. I build helicopters for the Navy for a living - I think I can build a jetski!
    Excellent!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information