Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Phil

Helmet/Hans device

I am going to purchase a helmet, I mentioned before about the pros/cons been if someone hits you in the water with a helmet there is more chance of surviving, but if you fall in the water wearing a helmet I have been told it can rip the helmet from your head, causing worse injuries. There was a post about this but cant find it.

So what are peoples opinions on helmets, do you wear one/not wear one?
    And what are your opinions on a Hans device, does anyone own one?

I am thinking of getting an open faced helmet without the visor.

Cheers

+1
    Someone asked this recently...oh, it was you.

The EVS evo can be found on ebay in the states for $135.
    EVS RC EVO EVOLUTION NECK BRACE COLLAR LARGE BLUE - eBay (item 270483887780 end time Feb-07-11 12:19:01 PST)

If your gonna wear a helmet add the HANS. It is light weight and quite comfortable.

+1
    You CANNOT use a Hans Device on a jetski. They can only be used in vehicles that have a 5 or 6 point harness which goes over the Hans at your shoulders. A Hans would be worthless without seat belts and would probably be very dangerous on a jetski. (and yes I do own a Hans and use it when I'm on the track).

That other EVS device looks like it would also "require" seat belts. I don't know what you would use for jetskis, but I would find out what the people are using who are racing jetskis. My guess is that it would be a special PFD that has straps/braces that mount to the helmet somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by steach View Post
    Someone asked this recently...oh, it was you.

The EVS evo can be found on ebay in the states for $135.
    EVS RC EVO EVOLUTION NECK BRACE COLLAR LARGE BLUE - eBay (item 270483887780 end time Feb-07-11 12:19:01 PST)

If your gonna wear a helmet add the HANS. It is light weight and quite comfortable.
    IDK man, are you going to be able to see clearly with all that on? besides what is all this for, riding around on a lake?

Fat Man, Little Boat Region8Ultra250X's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    IDK man, are you going to be able to see clearly with all that on? besides what is all this for, riding around on a lake?
    andy.... its the same set-up some of the MX racers use. its a leatt style brace. you still have full range of motion

Quote Originally Posted by Region8Ultra250X View Post
    andy.... its the same set-up some of the MX racers use. its a leatt style brace. you still have full range of motion
    Dan, is this evolution neck brace common in jet ski riding/racing?

+1
    that brace and the leatt braces are used by a lot of mx guys now. i dont believe there is an information out there on if the neck brace/helmet combo hurts or helps in pwc crashes. i can see how a helmet visor could catch the water and tweak the neck and how the brace would prevent that. I been have this debate with one of my friends for this past week. i do think the neck brace is a little over kill for the rec rider and once and a while top speed run. I just wonder with the water resistance if that would make any difference? I like when i wreck on a mx bike your helmet will not dig into the ground but on the water the edge of the nose guard could catch the water and tweak the neck. i dunno just something i been thinking about past couple of days...

as for range of motion there is no problem looking over the shoulders

Fat Man, Little Boat Region8Ultra250X's Avatar
    +1
    Dan, is this evolution neck brace common in jet ski riding/racing?

i've seen a few people running this for races..... they are def not common place or mandated but it is an extra piece of mind....

+1
    Good Q Andy.
    The EVS is new to me. I will not be wearing it 95% of the time BUT I would not wear a helmet w/out it.

It is NOT a HANS devise that protects the brain but a neck protector. Both limit the head's movement by design. This comes from motocross. Just ask David Bailey why this is important.

My goal in building a conversion was...and is to back-flip a GPR. I think a helmet is wise while perfecting it!

Quote Originally Posted by steach View Post
    Good Q Andy.
    The EVS is new to me. I will not be wearing it 95% of the time BUT I would not wear a helmet w/out it.

It is NOT a HANS devise that protects the brain but a neck protector. Both limit the head's movement by design. This comes from motocross. Just ask David Bailey why this is important.

My goal in building a conversion was...and is to back-flip a GPR. I think a helmet is wise while perfecting it!
    understood... I can also see where just a full wet suit, type 5 vest, gloves etc feel cumbersome enough, now add that shoulder pad neck brace and a helmet, man that has to feel like a suit of armour. black flip eh, cool, make sure you tape that! good luck...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information