Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

I need an honest opinion about the rxp

Im faceing a tough decision this year. Im considering selling my 2001 gp1200r with a fresh topend, and buying a seadoo rxp priced around 5-6 grand, 06-07. My reasons are mostly driven due to the reliability of 2 strokes versus 4 strokes. Id rather have a 4 stroke, plus the skis obviously newer and nicer.

My question is, i ride hard and maintain my skis well. But im trying to get an idea of if its worth keeping my gpr because if i do im going to put a new bottom end in it (top end only has 20 hours so that will be ok). And do a few carburation mods. I just want to bullet proof it.

If i get the rxp im going to be buying one with around 40-60 hours on it (i have a few options) and with a 30 day warentey. The seadoo will however cost me about 2500 more than my gpr's selling value. Which is also slightly more than a bottom end rebuild and mods cost on my gpr. SO! The golden quetion, how reliable can i expect a seadoo rxp with around 40-60 hours (know the owners and they maintained them well) to be when its ridden hard just like my gpr? I will maintain it well just like my yami, but i ride them moderatly hard to be fair.

What kind of stuff should i be bugeting for if i bought an rxp? Thanks in advance, i know some of these questions are going to be answered by opinions not facts because there's no cut and dry answer, but id like some advice... And advice on bugets for spare parts/break downs.

You already know you are going to get opinions, and there are lots of fans of the RXP here on GH. The SC models are not as reliable as the N/A, but are a lot more fun.

About the only advice I would give is to lean towards the 07 vs the 06, because then you know for sure you would have the late solid exhaust valves. Regardless, you should plan to rebuild the SC with the newest steel washers. Then you would have a pretty reliable ski, especially compared to the 2-stroke Yamaha.

home of the dislexic fingers breon's Avatar
    i like my rxp..if you can still call it that...i have pushed it and pushed it..and it has been fairly reliable for me..if i would stop messing with it it would be perfec.. considering how modified it is..

but .,.buying a rxp isnt your only option.. if you like your gpr hull ..you could make it a conversion ski...buy instaling a sho motor..lots of threads on how to...you would have a very reliable 80 mph ski...guys have hit 96 ..with modified engines..you could get it to 85 ish and still have reliabiliity...you could sell the gpr motor to help offset the cost...i think in the end you would probably spend about the same..but be one of the fastest skis at the local hang out ..unless you are in s fla...and still have reliability..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by breon View Post
    i like my rxp..if you can still call it that...i have pushed it and pushed it..and it has been fairly reliable for me..if i would stop messing with it it would be perfec.. considering how modified it is..

but .,.buying a rxp isnt your only option.. if you like your gpr hull ..you could make it a conversion ski...buy instaling a sho motor..lots of threads on how to...you would have a very reliable 80 mph ski...guys have hit 96 ..with modified engines..you could get it to 85 ish and still have reliabiliity...you could sell the gpr motor to help offset the cost...i think in the end you would probably spend about the same..but be one of the fastest skis at the local hang out ..unless you are in s fla...and still have reliability..
    Thats true too, but that cant be a very commonly sold engine lol? And if its for sale that probably means its shot wouldnt you say? But hmm i heard that issue with the valves too. They were pulling thru the seats and tightening up? Or breaking?

home of the dislexic fingers breon's Avatar
    all skis have an issue here and there..the yammi engine is fine especially if left stock ..the engines are out there...read up a little in the conversion ski section..i ride with a couple guys that have them ..it is a good combo...

+1
    Only reason im considering this is because by the end of the year id probably want to put a crank in my yami. I have 210 hours on the factory crank, second topend. Never blew a motor, always maintained well... Always ran nice too. But i believe people reccomend changing them out around 250 hours. What are the rxp's reccomended sercice intervals? (i do my own work btw) and i will read a little on it tonight too.

+1
    You are welcome to ride one of my conversions also there will be three GPRSHO's around im sure you could throw a leg over.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by beerdart View Post
    You are welcome to ride one of my conversions also there will be three GPRSHO's around im sure you could throw a leg over.
    How did you guys all get your hands on SHO motors? I never see them for sale. Reliable engine? What do you think about a 200+ hour factory crank lol?

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    Honestly, stay with your 2 stroke as I'm going back to them
    Goodluck
    Deep pockets

+1
    If you get an RXP get an 06+ as they have updated valves and flywheel bolts. then upgrade the supercharger and oiling system to 08+ specs and you have a very reliable ski. could also buy an rxp gut it sell the hull and sell you GPR motor and build a conversion. Id do this but where i ride a gpr is just to small.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information