7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Get the VXS!

4 57.14%
  • Save your cash and find another hobby

3 42.86%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

+1

To buy or not to buy

That is the question.... So I'm struggling with the decision to stay in the hobby or not and figured I would turn to my die hard support group for opinions. I just sold my 09 FZR with only 15.2 hours on it. I purchased it back in late April of 09 and decided to sell it around August and stopped riding it, but before deciding to sell it I only put 15 hours on it.

Currently I still have my Triton Elite trailer and a nice insulated storage garage that is costing me $75 a month, the trailer is paid for. I'm trying to decide between a good deal on a 2011 VXS for $11,500 out the door which I can put a down payment of 2-3k on bringing the loan down to around 140 a month at 2.65% financing. My FZR was costing $197 a month plus the garage fee.

So should I get out of the hobby and save $272 a month or buy the VXS and save around $50 off what I was paying before. My considerations are the fact that my storage unit is approximately 20 minutes away, the only lake close by is Austin which is either completely dead or so busy it is really difficult to have fun without getting run over. Lake Travis is about half an hour away but it is so choppy it takes all the fun out. There really aren't a lot of local riders so to get into a decent group I would have to drive 2-3 hours to either the Dallas area or east Texas/Louisiana. With gas prices only going up that means those trips are going to cost an arm and a leg when I actually do decide to go out and ride.

I'm not struggling for money but just trying to weigh the pros and cons. Of all the negatives I see I considered getting into ATVs with my brother but there is just something about being on the water. Anytime I go out to one of our local restaurants on the lake and watch the boat traffic I just want to be out there, but once I'm out there I tend to do more floating around then actual riding or sight seeing.

Just wanted to get some feedback on what you guys think about the whole situation.

no disrespect, but maybe a Kayak would better serve the purpose to just float around... This almost sounds like you made up your mind already. As in any hobby sacrifices are always made one way or the other, time or money. I`m right on the water but chose to tow 15+ miles to get into a less traveled fresh water river. and yes when the Visitors are around it does get very annoying, but that`s all a part of enjoying the water.
    suggesting to get the VXS is like saying buy the red sneakers regardless of fit, it`s what we like...lol...
    the poll should really ask what ski would better suit my needs with a full description of riding style and area... but again, only you could fill in those answers...

I am a rider, I like to ride non stop with occasional piss breaks... I don`t drink alcohol while operating on the water and dont ride with anyone who does. so this alone is a set criteria. I don`t fuel up my ski and head out to just float around and get wasted...and traveling to launch and ride is all apart of the equation, sometimes close, sometimes far.
    Limiting as it may sound, it is always a fun ride...
    My point>
    sounds like you just need to figure out what you want to do and go from there... personally some of us had a good look at the vxr and vxs and made our own determinations.
    Good luck in your choice, sounds like you want to remain into watersports, so just do it!

The ATV crowd here is very limited with the ever shrinking area`s to ride and always being chased. Snowmobiles are not a great choice for this region as well unless you intend to travel for hours heading upstate maybe 2-4 times a year, so I hear ya on the different sports...

question: is that a good deal? 11, 500? doesn`t sound like they took much off of MSRP

+1
    my opinion if your not really into it then get out. If you want to ride but its a cost issue then go buy a cheap used machine. I bout my gp800r for 3g 3 years ago and have put around 80 hours on it and havent put a dime into it till now. go get a cheap gpr or a used older fx or vx pay cash for it have fun if you really want to ride or get out maybe try paintball or something.

+1
    Appreciate the responses, maybe I should clarify a little bit. The VXS is my machine. I work in LE so I don't drink and drive / ride. The floating around comment pertains to just relaxing after going for a cruise and floating down the lake next to the ski. As far as what type of jet ski fits my riding style, I loved my FZR, the whole reason I ride is for that thrill of acceleration and speed. That said I am also a stock Joe type, I really don't enjoy modifications and don't want to reach speeds of 90, I just don't want to be passed up by a huge assortment of other stock skis. I love chasing around wake boats, taking off at top speeds for a while, and riding in groups doing whatever.

As far as the money goes I have the cash just debating how much the hobby is worth. If gas gets into the mid 4 bucks a gallon this summer it's going to be around $60.00 bucks a tank to fill up the ski alone. I enjoy getting out there and riding it is just the long drives to get setup, plus living in an apartment with no access to a flush out or place to wash the ski, I have to rely on friends homes for that. I think it might be a lot different if I had an apartment with a garage and the ski was right here all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJosh View Post
    Appreciate the responses, maybe I should clarify a little bit. The VXS is my machine. I work in LE so I don't drink and drive / ride. The floating around comment pertains to just relaxing after going for a cruise and floating down the lake next to the ski. As far as what type of jet ski fits my riding style, I loved my FZR, the whole reason I ride is for that thrill of acceleration and speed. That said I am also a stock Joe type, I really don't enjoy modifications and don't want to reach speeds of 90, I just don't want to be passed up by a huge assortment of other stock skis. I love chasing around wake boats, taking off at top speeds for a while, and riding in groups doing whatever.

As far as the money goes I have the cash just debating how much the hobby is worth. If gas gets into the mid 4 bucks a gallon this summer it's going to be around $60.00 bucks a tank to fill up the ski alone. I enjoy getting out there and riding it is just the long drives to get setup, plus living in an apartment with no access to a flush out or place to wash the ski, I have to rely on friends homes for that. I think it might be a lot different if I had an apartment with a garage and the ski was right here all the time.
    I think we all face that fact about fuel. that`s a bummer about flushing, but there are simple ways around that with a portable garden sprayer rigged for flushing, or a makeshift 12V submersible pump in a bucket of water. where there is a will there is a way...
    I just gave a brief description of my riding style, sorry for the confusion, not intended to say you drink and drive...
    now it almost sounds like you are convincing yourself to not ride!? so you already have the ski?
    only you will know what you need to do, good luck with your decision...

on a side note, good to hear that you ride responsibly. I do know of some LEO`s that do drink and ride in quite a few forms of motorsports...

after reviewing the thread now, I would say pass on the hobby for now and save your coin until your are in a better situation with housing and flushing the ski and the possibility of rising fuel cost...

+1
    Save your money and pay CASH for a used ski. I'll probably get flamed for saying this but there is no good financial reason to finance what is really a toy. Toys are toys.... Pay interest on a note for a toy?
    No way. You say in one of your posts that you live in an apartment. Take the money you are spending on a ski (along with what you are paying for the rental unit to store it) and put it towards buying a house. A few years down the road you'll be glad you did.

Just relax and enjoy the ride. XLT Chad's Avatar
    +1
    Thats a whole lot of good advice.

+1
    Right now I work as a courtesy officer for the apartment I live in so I don't pay any rent, I get called out at all times of the night for noise complaints, but it basically supplements my income substantially.

And Pale Rider I appreciate your input and didn't take it as an accusation of drinking and riding. I really appreciate everyones thoughts on the whole thing. I definitely have the money to buy the ski and pay it off within the first year of the loan, I paid off more than half of the FZR loan which was over 10k in 7 months. I do enjoy being out on the water but I just think the costs of the hobby are going to sky rocket this year and given that I don't have any riding partners close by it just seems like a big investment that I won't use often.

Just thinking about how exciting MudBug would be but realistically that only happens once a year and I'm just not sure how often I would get out and ride if it weren't for big group rides.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJosh View Post
    Right now I work as a courtesy officer for the apartment I live in so I don't pay any rent, I get called out at all times of the night for noise complaints, but it basically supplements my income substantially.

And Pale Rider I appreciate your input and didn't take it as an accusation of drinking and riding. I really appreciate everyones thoughts on the whole thing. I definitely have the money to buy the ski and pay it off within the first year of the loan, I paid off more than half of the FZR loan which was over 10k in 7 months. I do enjoy being out on the water but I just think the costs of the hobby are going to sky rocket this year and given that I don't have any riding partners close by it just seems like a big investment that I won't use often.

Just thinking about how exciting MudBug would be but realistically that only happens once a year and I'm just not sure how often I would get out and ride if it weren't for big group rides.
    Thanks and I hear ya... we have had several riders get out of the sport recently. And some of our close local riders didn`t even open the garage door to let their ski`s breath the fresh air this past season. If I had to constantly travel over an hour and a half like back in 2002-2005 to get to my favorite park I would have to rethink it myself. I do ride mostly solo since a lot of riders bailed. Since I have made the commitment and rebuilt the engine, she is ready to go at a moments notice but economic circumstances could dictate otherwise... At least the ski is here and can sit until the next ride... If you can swing it and don`t mind the days that it is parked, you`ll just enjoy it that much more when your out... and if it doesn`t work out you can always place it back on the market. I believe that ski will turnover quickly being a pre-sought after machine... only time will tell...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Beagleman62 View Post
    Save your money and pay CASH for a used ski. I'll probably get flamed for saying this but there is no good financial reason to finance what is really a toy. Toys are toys.... Pay interest on a note for a toy?
    No way. You say in one of your posts that you live in an apartment. Take the money you are spending on a ski (along with what you are paying for the rental unit to store it) and put it towards buying a house. A few years down the road you'll be glad you did.
    +1000.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information