Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

2001 Polaris Virage I

I purchased a 2001 Polaris Virage I this past weekend. It has less than 20 hours on it but needs motor work. The guy I bought it from told me his mechanic told him it would need a new motor. With the spark plugs out it makes a deep grinding noise. I have pulled the heads off and the pistons, walls and rings look good. It sounds like the grinding noise is coming from the crankshaft. I am in the process of pulling the motor out to see what is going on. Any ideas?

I have also read on here the the factory fuel lines should be replaced. Is there anything else I should do to it while the motor is out? It concerns me that it has that low of hours for being 10 years old.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Slow down a little!

You have created several threads already in different forums. Take time to read the replies you have gotten so far, and the directions they are pointing you in.

Just reading through the collected information and links in my signature links is going to take a few hours.

The normal process is to introduce yourself and your PWC in a new thread in the Polaris General Forum. Then stick to that thread for questions and issues related to that PWC and repair. This allows us to keep track of what has been said and done previously regarding your PWC, which makes it easier for us to help you.

The fuel injected Virage i Ficht engine has some important differences from the carburetor engines. Before you continue to pull the engine apart, have you removed the jet pump and drive shaft yet? These must be removed first, before the engine can be removed. If the grinding is coming from the jet pump itself, then the engine may not need any repairs at all.

Sorry for posting numerous times. I did not think my first post went through. I have pulled the jet pump and the drive shaft and they are fine. When I turn the motor over by hand I can still hear the grinding noise in the crankshaft area. It is a deep metal grinding sound and sometimes it will catch and wont turn at all.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jmattson View Post
    ... When I turn the motor over by hand I can still hear the grinding noise in the crankshaft area. It is a deep metal grinding sound and sometimes it will catch and wont turn at all.
    Sounds like bearing failure in the crank case.

The Polaris crank shafts are pressed together during assembly and therefore cannot be repaired in a home workshop. If one crank or rod bearing has failed then it is likely the others should be replaced at the same time. If you want the crank repaired then it will have to go to a shop that knows how to rebuild the crank. They will pull it apart, install new bearings and seals, and press it back together in a precise manner.

At this point you need to decide whether you want to send the entire engine out for rebuild, or just have the crank shaft assembly rebuilt and then put the engine back together yourself.

Mechanically the carburetor and fuel injected engines are very similar, but there are some small differences. Oil injection is one difference, absence of crank case pulse ports is another. A shop that is familiar with the carb engines can rebuild your crank shaft, even though it is a Ficht injected engine.

+1
    ... I did not think my first post went through ...
    For new members the first few posts are moderated, which may delay your post from appearing right away.

Be patient, the forum software does work

Well I found out why the motor locked up... Not a crank bearing like I thought.

Looks like teeth from the flywheel broke off and wedged between the flywheel and the case. Not sure what caused the teeth to shear off. Maybe the previous owner bumped the starter switch going across the lake? Anyone else have any ideas? Thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Flywheel.JPG 
Views:	751 
Size:	254.5 KB 
ID:	229838

I was wrong on the year it is a 2002 Virage I. Sorry about that! Does anyone know what my next step should be to fix it? I know a new flywheel will be needed but should I also replace the starter? Stator?

+1
    ... it is a 2002 Virage i ...

I know a new flywheel will be needed but should I also replace the starter? Stator?
    Take both flywheel and stator off the engine, and examine the stator for damage. Check for nicks in the coil windings and metal debris in the crevices. Make sure the stator cable is undamaged.

If the Bendix isn't damaged, it should be fine to continue using. If the starter still cranks the engine and the shaft teeth are OK, then it is also probably fine to continue using.

With the flywheel removed confirm that the engine now turns smoothly with no grinding.

BTW, good clear photo

Thanks for the info. Do you know where I can find a used flywheel and bendix? The spring on my bendix is no where to be found. Probably the reason for the broken teeth on the flywheel.

I have looked on craigslist and on ebay along with the classifieds on here and didnt see one.

Thanks!

+1
    ... where I can find a used flywheel and Bendix? ...
    Try John Zigler. His contact info can be found in the Parts Sources section for my signature links.

Keep in mind that both the 6 magnet and 12 magnet versions of the flywheel will work on your Ficht engine. The six magnet was original, and the twelve magnet version is considered an upgrade.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information