Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1999 Genesis i

1999 Genesis i

You guys have helped me a lot without knowing, I have never posted a question before , I have 4 Polaris watercraft 1999 SLTH ,SLTX , Genesis I & 200n1200 Pro the Genesis I is giving me a 41 & 42 code, sensor ohms 900 checked all grounds checked & rechecked cleared Codes pulled hair and staired.Thanks ahead of time for the right direction.

jre457
    Richmond Tx

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk

1999 Genesis FFI - correct?

What sensor are you measuring that reads 900 ohms?

The water temp sensor in the exhaust manifold is nominally 985-1015 ohms at 77F. 900 ohms might be within spec, if the sensor temp is really cold.

Easy way to test is to replace the water temp sensor with a 1,000 ohm resistor (as measured by your ohm-meter). Resistor wattage does not matter, 1/4 or 1/2 watt is fine.

If you clear the EMM codes, and still get a 41 or 42 code with the 1,000 ohm resistor in place, then the EMM itself may have a problem OR the wire harness connections between the EMM and the sensor may be loose or corroded.

Be aware that the 1999 Genesis FFI wire harnesses are known to develop connection problems, especially at the many splices.

Thanks for your reply.I checked the wiring, white with red one end to the other the blue to the EMM .I installed the resistor and same codes came back .It runs the same on the water hose as it did before the light started flashing but I have not had it in the water yet. Do you think running it in water would be helpful or harmful?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jre457 View Post
    ... I checked the wiring, white with red one end to the other the blue to the EMM .

I installed the resistor and same codes came back.

It runs the same on the water hose as it did before the light started flashing but I have not had it in the water yet.

Do you think running it in water would be helpful or harmful?
    For clarity, the temp sensor wire colors are Pink/Black (water temp) and Pink/Blue (air temp). Each has Black ground wire alongside.

What exactly is happening when you run the engine on the hose?

Light flashing? Does the MFI display also say 'Check Engine', or HOT?

How long are you letting it run 'on the hose'?

The red light is flashing and the display says Check Engine. OK lets get back to the wire colors the sensor I was checking is on the exhaust chamber both wires are black leaving and connect into a blue to the EMM and a white with a red stripe, It sounds like I maybe checking the wrong sensor.

Dude you have got to be the smartest Man in the world and me not so much . I have no problem this all started when the old style injector came apart and blew my butt up,I now have the new style with cages.Wire switched runs great and I learned alot ,next SLTX 1050 says hot and it not refire and no problem.
    Thanks Much

+1
    ... the sensor I was checking is on the exhaust chamber both wires are black leaving and connect into a blue to the EMM and a white with a red stripe...
    That sounds like the wire colors for the fuel injector on top of the MAG cylinder head.

Perhaps somebody has inadvertently swapped the injector connector with the water temp sensor connector Both use the same Deutsch 2-pin connector type.

If in fact these two connections have been swapped, then the temp sensor may have been damaged by the high voltages from the 45 volt fuel injection system.

The attached photos show the three Ficht fuel injector wire colors and the Ficht water temp sensor wire.

Injector wire colors. All have White/Red as one of each pair;
    MAG injector has Blue wire
    CEN injector has Purple wire
    PTO injector has Green wire

Ficht water temp sensor wire colors are Pink/Black and Black.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2320.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	42.5 KB 
ID:	229972   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2315.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	229973   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2312.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	229974  

+1
    ... the old style injector came apart ... I now have the new style with cages.

Wire switched runs great and I learned a lot ...
    So the MAG injector connector was swapped with the water temp sensor wire?

You replaced the original 1999 injectors (just one, or all of them?) with the newer 2000-2004 injector type?

Did you also change the EMM?

The 1999 Genesis FFI EMM is only matched to the 1999 Ficht injectors.

The 2000-2004 Ficht EMM are matched/mapped to individual injectors, which is why the injectors are often sold as a matched set with the 2000-2004 EMM.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2913.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	229978   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010792.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	229977  

When I bought it had a burned piston and 1 red stickered injector and 2 no sticker injectors that would unscrew apart .I had 1 of the no sticker separated while riding it felt like the motor exploded.It now has 2 red stickered 1999 and 1 blank , I also installed the new style hold downs or cages.I know now that it was a problem I created but it was a learning experience for me.I have 4 skis all Polaris and this one has my workhorse because of its size and the one I new least about.I am thankful to the people on this site, I started blind with a 1999 slth with the motor in a box.

Thanks again

+1
    ... it had ... 1 red stickered injector and 2 no sticker injectors that would unscrew apart.

I had 1 of the no sticker separated while riding ... It now has 2 red stickered 1999 and 1 blank,

I also installed the new style hold downs or cages.

I know now that it was a problem I created but it was a learning experience for me...
    You installed the later model injector brackets on top of the 1999 style injectors - have I got this correct?

Did you also install the large fat O-rings under the bracket caps?

Is the 'blank injector of the 1999 'red-sticker' style, or of the newer style?

What 'problem' did you create?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information