Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    RXP 260 X Short Course Veteran RXP244's Avatar
    +1

2006 Crank Sensor versus 2004 Sensor

Heres the thing.

I want to use the 06 Block, Crank, Balance shaft, NA flywheel, trigger wheel, mag etc I have and run it with the 04-05 loom I have. Now the question is, can I rewire the 06 CPS (Crank Position Sensor) newer style plug or wire in a short interconnecting loom to suit the older style CPS plug on the loom.

According to the 2006 4tec workshop manual, a test on the CPS should yield between 190 and 290 ohms. We have tested 6 2006 or newer CPS's and they all read 910-920 ohms. WTF? I can only get my older 04 CPS to show 230 ohms, which appears to within spec. I don't have acess to the 2004 manual so don't know if its good?

The whole reason for this is that if I can run the 06 sensor with the 04 loom then no probs with running all the newer 06 hardware. If I can't, I have to re-reference the trigger wheel on the crank to use the older sensor. I would not move the pin on the crank, but redrill the trigger wheel to suit the different 06 pin position, but have the trigger wheel in the older 04 position and then slot the six bolts holes on a mill to line it all up. Already drilled an old one to test the theory.

Any help would be great.

Mark.

+1
    05 specs.
    Resistance Test
    Disconnect the CPS connector from the wiring
    harness and check the resistance of the sensor
    itself.
    The resistance should be between 190 and
    290 .

+1
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2009Sea-dooServiceManual.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	229948  

You will be fine, just make up the short interface cable you proposed and run the '06 sensor on the '05 loom.

The way the CPS works is it generates an AC voltage. The ECU circuitry that senses the voltage has very high impedance, which is a fancy way of saying it doesn't load the sensor. Since there is no load, the newer style sensor generates a higher voltage than the old one. The ECU circuit is a zero crossing detector, so it just looks at when the voltage goes from negative to positive and vice versa to form its timing reference. The ECU circuits didn't change from '05 to '06, so it really doesn't matter which style sensor you use, the result is the same.

+1
    Here is the diagrams for the different years 05 and 09. and the wiring is the same.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2009Sea-dooServiceManual.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	47.0 KB 
ID:	229954   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2005 Sea-Doo Engine Service Manual.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	41.8 KB 
ID:	229953  

+1
    Awesome Guys.

So what I have is the option of running either option. Which is great!

The 04 Crank I have has like a hundred hours on it, but the 06 has like 26hr's.

I have the option of running the 04 sensor in the 04 position if I change the position of the trigger wheel to the older 04 position. As per Beerdarts input.

Or I just run the newer sensor with the old loom with a cable interface. As per Sea Doods input.

Do I understand correctly?

Thanks Guys.

Yes, but just to be clear, you have to use the '06 PTO cover with '06 crank, '04 cover with '04 crank.....because of the different positions of the CPS between the two covers.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Dood View Post
    Yes, but just to be clear, you have to use the '06 PTO cover with '06 crank, '04 cover with '04 crank.....because of the different positions of the CPS between the two covers.
    Not true,
    Take the locating pin out of the crank and turn the encoder wheel to where you need it,
    If you were going to run a 04 crank in a 06+engine you turn the encoder wheel anticlock wise 2 x bolt holes been doing this for years.
    hope this helps mark

Jase

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Dood View Post
    I can mount the 04 sensor in the 06 PTO housing. The mounting bosses are there to be used (small modification) and I can cut the slot in the top of the housing for the grommet to sit into to bring the wires out. But thats only if I use the 04 trigger wheel position (modification to the trigger wheel to fit the 06 crank) and want to use the 04 sensor so I don't have to change plugs or make the interface cable. Otherwise I go with the interconnecting loom.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by race jase View Post
    Not true,
    Take the locating pin out of the crank and turn the encoder wheel to where you need it,
    If you were going to run a 04 crank in a 06+engine you turn the encoder wheel anticlock wise 2 x bolt holes been doing this for years.
    hope this helps mark

Jase
    Hey Jase

You reckon it is two bolt holes. I reckon to run the 04 trigger position on the 06 crank its a knats dick shy or more than two bolt holes. Does it need to be that close. I have put a new hole in the trigger wheel that fits the 06 crank pin position and has the trigger wheel in the 04 position on the crank and the bolt holes are about half a whole off. I thought I would have to have them milled/slotted.

Cheers

Mark

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information