Help synchronizing balance shaft

2006 RXP. I removed bottom of crank case to clean out remains of ceramic washers and get a look at the crank bearings. I have engine on a stand and did not remove timing chain. motor was not upside down when I remove bottom and balance shaft came off. Everything is clean now and looks good. I now realize that the mark on the crank sprocket to align with the balance shaft one is covered up by starter and SC sprockets. Two questions. Is there any other reference (hole in SC sprocket or something else) that I can use so that I don't have to take anything else apart? I did not position the motor and lock crankshaft because I didn't intend to take off timing chain and I don't have the locking tool. I guess I need that if I have to remove those sprockets.

Thanks!!!!!

Barry

+1
    Sorry dude, your gonna have to remove the PTO housing, magneto, flywheel and etc. (replace the flywheel bolts) to get to the marks. These marks have to be dead on, no guessing. Your also gonna need new stretch bolts for the bottom half of the engine block (the eight big ones). The proper sealant is also esential along with proper application. You dont want that stuff squeezing out into the engine. Dont try to guess at those marks....

Yep, I did what you said. They are right now! Thanks!!!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bminchey View Post
    Yep, I did what you said. They are right now! Thanks!!!!
    I sure hope you replaced those flywheel bolts, they are not reusable! This is also referenced in the shop manual.

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by dnielsen View Post
    Sorry dude, your gonna have to remove the PTO housing, magneto, flywheel and etc. (replace the flywheel bolts) to get to the marks. These marks have to be dead on, no guessing. Your also gonna need new stretch bolts for the bottom half of the engine block (the eight big ones). The proper sealant is also esential along with proper application. You dont want that stuff squeezing out into the engine. Dont try to guess at those marks....
    Those aren't stretch bolts, and don't require replacement. At least thats what my manual tells me.

My manual says the bolts holding trigger wheel and rotor are stretch bolts. I didn't see that note on lower case bolts although I have seen them on the net as "4 stroke lower case stretch bolts". My dealer said that they have never ordered these bolts before. I'm gonna buy em, but I'm skeptical. I have reused stretch bolts in cars before I knew there was such a thing without a problem.

+1
    I think you are correct Bigdaddy, the manual doesnt reference the need for replacement of the cylinder block bolts. For some reason I seem to remember someone telling me these were a must, therefore I ordered these for a rebuild (twice I might add). Maybe someone else can clarify this for us.

Thread Information