Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Polaris SLX 785 Pro - Pump/Drive line HELP!

I just bought a 1998 Polaris SLX 785 Pro. The guy told me the set screw in the drive shaft coupler came loose and the drive shaft slipped out. I cant get it go back in, so I was trying to pull the pump so I could pull the whole shaft out and inspect it to ensure there were no problems with the spline.

I pulled all 4 of the large lock nuts off holding the pump to the hull, removed the steering linkage, as well as the trim linkage. The pump will not budge! I am assuming it is simply the sealant holding it on, but I am at a loss on how to get it off. If anyone has any suggestions that would be great!

Also What do I need to use to reseal the pump to the hull?

I am not sure if I posted this in the correct forum, if it is miss posted I will be happy to relocate it.

+1
    It is recommended to remove the 4 long bolts then remove the steering and trim you also have to remove the water feed hoses from inside the hull then wiggle and separate the pump.

put the locknuts back on, you dont remove the pump shoe. remove the four long bolts holding the pump together on the outside and it will come apart in pieces.

as far as I know there is no such thing as a set screw in the coupler, I have a 99 pro 785 and there is not one in mine, there should be no way it could fall out it fits almost perfectly between the pump and coupler.
    try lifting up on the back of the motor to see if your mounts are broken

Banned User
    +1
    I bet he is referring to the grease fitting in the coupler.....

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by koryk View Post
    I just bought a 1998 Polaris SLX 785 Pro. The guy told me the set screw in the drive shaft coupler came loose and the drive shaft slipped out.
    What that says ^^^ doesn't make any sense.

1. A set screw in the drive shaft coupler would hold a driveshaft from spinning. There is a grease fitting though.

2. The driveshaft could never slip out. It fits into the engine coupler, and into the impeller. It has 2 rubber bumpers on each end of the driveshaft, and will only move back and forth about 1/4" MAX. NEVER will it slip out as long as the bumpers are in place.

Do you mean the grease fitting STRIPPED out????? Meaning water is coming in through the thru hull seal?

Kory, please read up before you do any work on this ski first.

You almost created more work for yourself if you would have removed the jet pump like you tried. You would have to realign the engine to the pump by doing it your way. That's why the 4 long bolts are the correct way of doing it.

Please, read about this ski before you wrench to prevent any possible problems like this again.

THANK YOU FOR ALL THE RESPONSES! Yall have been a ton of help!

There is no grease fitting on my coupler, just an empty hole...... Apparently where the grease fitting goes.

I've replaced the coupler on an SLX 780, and there was no set screw, I just took the guys word for face value instead of doing the research.....just got a little excited, I've never rode a pro before and have heard there pretty amazing....cant wait to get it into the water!

I'm getting about 1/4" of play forward and backward, the drive shaft is not separated. So from what yall are telling me im assuming the drive shaft and/or the coupler is stripped out and will need to be replaced.

I tried pulling the long bolts out and taking the pump apart, but couldn't get it to separate, any tips on how to do this? Only idea i've got is a rubber mallet and WD40, but I dont want to damage anything, so I'll wait for a response before I attempt this.

Separate questions

On part #9 in the photo displayed by "beerdart" the fins on the side closest to the impeller are slightly damaged, looks like possibly rocks or sand has ate away at them a little. Does this need to be replaced asap or is it not something I should worry about?

Also, one of the blades on the impeller is slightly bent, looks like a rock could of hit it. Does this need to be replaced before use? Can it cause damage to the pump, if not will it affect performance a lot?

I can post pictures of what I'm trying to describe if necessary.

+1
    A 2 X 4 between the rideplate and the pump does wonders for pump separation.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Click my signature links, the find the Jet Pump section. From there, watch the videos and info regarding jet pump removal, inspection, and repair.

Also look through the 'What should I do first' links.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information