Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

triple pipe carb settings?

I need help please!
    ive got an stxr with factory pipe triple pipes, stock cdi, ada heads with 140psi compression, vforce 2 reeds novi max flow 48mm carbs with 145 lows and 160 highs and a 117.5 return jet. just cant get the thing dialed in. anyone know wat jets would be a good start point???
    thanks!

What do the stock requirements call for jets wise? Go off of that. I know that in some skis each carb will have different sizes

Stock carbs are not Novi's but Keihin CV carbs, so you can toss that out. What is going on with the setup you have? Work on the bottom first then move to the top.

it bogs down when I pull throttle on. sometimes dies. it very rarely gets onto the pipes but when it does it bogs down and flattens.

+1
    U also need a cdi the thing wont run ethier once it does get closer to running right. The stock cdi will start shutting down about 7350 with a cut off of 7400 so if you turn over 7300 you need a FP cdi. And with pipes you will...should be running 7700+

Anyway besides that better start getting some photos up and see what ya got.

Here is what I think....
    Too rich....
    Not sure how the returns are setup...
    Are the reeds good ??
    And what is the compression on all 3 cylinders.

+1

pipes...

U also need a cdi the thing wont run ethier once it does get closer to running right. The stock cdi will start shutting down about 7350 with a cut off of 7400 so if you turn over 7300 you need a FP cdi. And with pipes you will...should be running 7700+

Anyway besides that better start getting some photos up and see what ya got.

Here is what I think....
    Too rich....
    Not sure how the returns are setup...
    Are the reeds good ??
    And what is the compression on all 3 cylinders.

Download and read the Mikuni SBN manual. I know you have Novis but they are based off of the SBN carb and the tuning should be the same. Like I said start with the bottom end and work from there. Here is the manual. http://mikuni.com/pdf/sbn_manual.pdf

It should help you figure out what is going on and where you sit right now. If you cannot find a FPP CDI, I know someone that would be interested in you tripples and has a stok pipe or a D3 pipe that could do a partial trade.

ive got an advent ignition that I can put in. compression is 140psi on all three. the reeds are vforce 2. its a brand new engine brand new reeds. sorry for slow reply. im in christchurch with the earthquake so been pretty busy with other things thanks for all ur help tho

Fat Man, Little Boat Region8Ultra250X's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by stxr-screamer View Post
    ive got an advent ignition that I can put in. compression is 140psi on all three. the reeds are vforce 2. its a brand new engine brand new reeds. sorry for slow reply. im in christchurch with the earthquake so been pretty busy with other things thanks for all ur help tho
    put the advent in..... it should get you back into the range of where you can start tuning carbs.... like jonny5 said your killing yourself before you even get where you need to be with the stock cdi

+1
    Here is a start point I bet it will still be way rich but should run some what.....

140 mains
    130 pilots
    I would put a 2.0 N/s in with a 115 spring but most will say.... 2.3 n/s with a 95.. I think that pop off is way to low. U could do 2.3 with 115 spring.

You may even go upside down with the jetting kawi also like alot of fuel down low.

I also have a Factory pipe cdi meant for those pipes ....not that the advent wont work but it has a softer curve so performance is not as good unless you create your own or go with the FP cdi

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information