Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Exclamation MY 1100ZXI got stuck under the dock and the tide came up w. it still under there

I need help on how to get my 1100zxi back up and running. i bought it from a friend and it ran fine last summer. at the end of last summer it got stuck under a dock when the tide went down and when the tide came back up the jet ski was stuck under the dock still. my question is how do i drain all the water that is in the engine b.c im sure it got in threw the exhaust and air intake.... the spark plugs have water on them and when i take them out and start it brown liquid comes out.. any suggestions???

+1
    So, how long has the water been in it? If it's been since last summer, it's junk. The crank & bearings will be rust, the cylinders will be rust, the carbs will be junk. By now, water will have leaked into the starter, the ignition box, and the trim box.

well im not exactly sure when it happened, i just know it happened at the end of summer round october, the first hole closes to the glovebox didnt have anything coming out of it when i removed the spark plugs and turned it over, the middle has very little and the last one closes to the back has a lil more water to coming out, i was told to keep turning it over till its all out of the crankcase then spray a lil starting fluid in the holes then fingure tighten the spark plugs back on, bc on the 1100 they dont have a a plug for the crankcases like the 750s do... so i was told, i dont know too much bout skiis yet, these are my first two......

+1
    Yea, that's how you get the water out. But after months, the bearings are toast.

k thanks, i also checked out the gas tank and it is full of water, so im syphon it out now..... how much does a crank and bearings run about? im new too my skiis but i love my chapparell ski boat.... so u would recommend me just taking apart the engine and fixing those things before even trying to start it and go running?? thanks for the feedback, im learning more n more on this site, just got introduced to it this week...

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeyjoe55 View Post
    ...brown liquid comes out..
    .... so u would recommend me just taking apart the engine and fixing those things before even trying to start it and go running?...
    Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    ... after months, the bearings are toast.
    Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    So, how long has the water been in it? If it's been since last summer, it's junk.

The crank & bearings will be rust, the cylinders will be rust, the carbs will be junk.

By now, water will have leaked into the starter, the ignition box, and the trim box.
    It will not run. It is internally rusted, possibly beyond cost effective repair.

If you did manage to get it started, it would tear itself apart within seconds or minutes, especially if you attempt to run at full RPM.

There is no reason to even attempt to start it. The engine must be rebuilt or replaced first. And the entire fuel system cleaned out and repaired.

Electrical system may also be compromised, depending on what the water got into.

The only chance you had of getting it running again was to resuscitate it within hours of it being sunk.

The engine internals are steel, and steel will rust if left in contact with water. The brown liquid is rusty water. That means the bearings and other steel items have rusted, which means the engine can no longer work without major repair.

+1
    I know it's not what you want to hear, but in fresh water, you only have about a day to get it cleaned up before rust sets in. In salt water, it's quicker than that. A rusty bearing will not last long, even if it does start. If there is rust in it, it will self-destruct and leave you swimming back to shore or paddling.

Before you junk it, pull the engine out and remove the carbs, intake manifold, and reed valves. That will allow you to open up the carbs to see what condition they are in, as well as letting you see inside the crankcase to inspect the crankshaft. If there is rust on the crank bearings, you're looking at quite a bit of money to buy a used crank on Ebay, or getting your crank rebuilt. Pull the diaphragm covers off the carbs and look for water/rust inside. Finally, pull the cylinder head and look for rust in the cylinders. They can be bored oversize and new pistons fitted. Open up the front cover and see if there is water in there. If so, you'll probably have a rusty flywheel which you'll want to replace.

When you get done with that, open up the ignition box and see what it looks like inside. Same with the trim box. Same with the starter.

simply cannot submerge a ski and just put it away for the winter or till you can get to it latter, get ready for another motor and prolly more.

yes i know that lol but it wasnt mine at the time it was a freinds and he let his bro in law kids use em while he went and worked over seas, i took off the carbs and looked inside, they had water in the ports but no rust, it still flowed threw the holes good, opened up the other side where the oil is and two were fine and still had the oil color to it and the other one had a slight milky color to it, cleaned them all and put back togther... flushed the lines. look inside the intake, but thats as far as i am so far..... thanks for the info guys, im learning a good bit as i go along..

Fat Man, Little Boat Region8Ultra250X's Avatar
    +1
    yes i know that lol but it wasnt mine at the time it was a freinds and he let his bro in law kids use em while he went and worked over seas, i took off the carbs and looked inside, they had water in the ports but no rust, it still flowed threw the holes good, opened up the other side where the oil is and two were fine and still had the oil color to it and the other one had a slight milky color to it, cleaned them all and put back togther... flushed the lines. look inside the intake, but thats as far as i am so far..... thanks for the info guys, im learning a good bit as i go along..
    so you bought the ski knowing it had been sunk and not had an attempt at getting it running again?

no sense in beating a dead horse and saying whats already been said but i am gonna say it anyways .... the motor is toast dont attempt to start it since its gonna grande itself... take it out have it rebuilt or rebuild it yourself.

the only thing your gonna end up doing by trying to start it now is cause more damage that may put it past the cost justifcation of repair

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information