Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: First PWC

First PWC

I'm pretty excited, We just moved down to the Miami area and I purchased my first PWC this weekend. As a longtime motorcycle rider I've always thought they'd be a lot of fun.

I went with an STX15F. It seems like a good compromise between speed/quality/durability/price and local Kawasaki dealer seems really good. I look forward to pinging you guys about some basic mods once I get some hours on it and start to decide what I want to improve performance wise.

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1
    Congrats! A great ski. Reliable and a decent performer. It is good on fuel too.

Thanks for the welcome. The mechanics also agreed about the reliability. They were in the process of fixing a blown rod on a brand new Yamaha 300HP V6 outboard (less than 10hrs..yikes) and mentioned the Kawasakis are hardly ever in their shop. Mind you this is a Kawasaki/Yamaha/Sea Doo dealer.

Yes I would "generally" agree with whats been generally said so fair. My 2 cents is:

- I would get the extended FAC WARR (if you have not done so already)

- Its good you realize that this boat is a "compromise" of alot of different areas because that is exactly what it is. If you find yourself being a competitive person and your riding buddies are on Ultras, SHO's, RXT's, etc your enthusiasm for this boat will quickly wane (you won't be able to keep up, or at least not "easily" if the pace is quick).

- If it turns out you really like this sport (as I do) than you will soon perhaps find yourself with two boats: Your 15F "as is" and another one that has more up to date power and handling characteristics.

On longer rides in smoother waters where I don't feel like I have to keep up with anybody my 15F shines; excellent fuel range and very good storage onboard. If I find myself having to keep up with a faster crew that day, than I find life more enjoyable if I am on my Ultra. Well, you are one of us now . . . . enjoy! There are some very knowledgeable people here on this board. Come back often with an open mind and a willingness to learn and I am sure you will enjoy your experience here. JB

Quote Originally Posted by john belton View Post
    Yes I would "generally" agree with whats been generally said so fair. My 2 cents is:

- I would get the extended FAC WARR (if you have not done so already)

- Its good you realize that this boat is a "compromise" of alot of different areas because that is exactly what it is. If you find yourself being a competitive person and your riding buddies are on Ultras, SHO's, RXT's, etc your enthusiasm for this boat will quickly wane (you won't be able to keep up, or at least not "easily" if the pace is quick).

- If it turns out you really like this sport (as I do) than you will soon perhaps find yourself with two boats: Your 15F "as is" and another one that has more up to date power and handling characteristics.

On longer rides in smoother waters where I don't feel like I have to keep up with anybody my 15F shines; excellent fuel range and very good storage onboard. If I find myself having to keep up with a faster crew that day, than I find life more enjoyable if I am on my Ultra. Well, you are one of us now . . . . enjoy! There are some very knowledgeable people here on this board. Come back often with an open mind and a willingness to learn and I am sure you will enjoy your experience here. JB
    Your thoughts mirror the research I've done on this ski. We rented some today with a guide to get a feel for the area waters. The rentals were VX Cruisers set on slow mode. I'll be interested to see how the 15F compares in dealing with the 1-2' chop that we had today.

I figure down the road I'll likely look at an Ultra for the faster speed and better offshore ability and keep the 15F for my GF or a loaner/spare or for cruising.

+1
    Congrats on the new ski! The 15F is going to feel like a rocket compared to a VX Cruiser...

+1
    Good choice. I'm sure you'll love it. I, too, just got in the sport 2 years ago and went with the 250 Ultra as I got an excellent deal on an 07' in 09'.
    Jet Skiing is like being a kid all over again. And the freedom on the water has no words to describe it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dmk View Post
    Good choice. I'm sure you'll love it. I, too, just got in the sport 2 years ago and went with the 250 Ultra as I got an excellent deal on an 07' in 09'.
    Jet Skiing is like being a kid all over again. And the freedom on the water has no words to describe it.
    you hit the nail on the head. I would say it knocks ten years off your life.

I took it out for the first time today. Man this thing boogies even though it's likely tame by yall's standards.

I was a little apprehensive because our boat ramp is pretty shallow sloped, requiring my truck's drive tires to come in the water and get on the algae, but it had no issues pulling the ski out when done.

This thing seems to corner pretty well too. I was slowly experimenting with varying turning/throttle rates to get a feel as I am a newb.

Got some good pointers from a lady in our complex who let us watch her recover hers from the ramp yesterday, that definitely helped.

If it's a brand new ski you bought, make sure inlet cooling hose clamps are tight (but not too tight that you break them!). Rubber hoses will take a set and the clamps need to be checked/retightened.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information