Good used ski for fishing?

Hey all

I'm new to jet skis but not new to fishing. I was wondering what people here think is a good used, reliable jet ski for fishing the bays and the ocean off New Jersey coast. I was thinking triple cylinder, two stroke, three seater (larger hull), large fuel tank availability.

I was thinking 1997 to 2003 SeaDoo GTX because of price, size, looks and front storage. Is this a decent ski? Any other good choices or it doesn't really matter?

Thanks

+1
    I don't have any experience w/smokers, so I'd naturally say to find a 4 stroke. This may affect your budget, tho. If you're fishing mainly off-shore, I'd look for a Kawi (great hull in the ruff stuff and has tons of storage). I fish off the SD RXT, but am always on the inside, smoother waters. I would also stay with a NA motor, as the turbo/SC models will give you another part to worry about. Besides, you're fishing, not racing.

I'd like to get a newer 4 stroke but I don't feel the older ones are that reliable. What I really want to know is what motor and hull to stay away from? Does anyone get stuck out there by themselves, do you have Sea Tow? Do you rebuild your motors every year?

I'd be fishing inshore for along time before I'd go out but would like to do long trips up and down the coast to build up my confidence.

Thanks

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Have a look at this forum; PWC fishing

Be careful about solo PWC riding, especially in open water and long trips. If at all possible find a riding buddy with another PWC.

Consider investing in communication and rescue gear. VHF radio (preferably with built-in GPS and DSC), waterproof case for cell phone, etc.

And an emergency repair kit with selected tools, spare parts, spark plugs, duct tape...

I'd say a Yamaha SUV if you can find one... It's the biggest, most stable ski I know of.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by INABIL View Post
    I'd like to get a newer 4 stroke but I don't feel the older ones are that reliable. What I really want to know is what motor and hull to stay away from? Does anyone get stuck out there by themselves, do you have Sea Tow? Do you rebuild your motors every year?

I'd be fishing inshore for along time before I'd go out but would like to do long trips up and down the coast to build up my confidence.

Thanks
    That is why I mentioned later model 4 strokes. I've had my SD RXT going on 5 years now. They each have nearly 200 hrs. and are yet to go into the shop for a mechanical issue. Understand, of course, that I'm a rec. rider only and my bikes are pretty much bone stock.

If you want size, you could look for a Yammie SUV or a SD LRV; both are 2 strokes but I don't think either one has been in production for over 8 years.

Me? If the budget allowed, I'd be looking for an up to 5 yr. old, 4 stroke, NA ski... IMHO.

Also, I've never purchased/used SeaTow (never been towed), but where I fish, which is exclusively inland waters, I'm surely going to have someone cross my path.

A good place to start at this point would be the GH classifieds, but I would honestly stay away from skis modded for speed. And you will see quite a bit of that on this forum. A stock ski will be more reliable and prob. more fuel efficient.

My aunt has Boat US on her boat, and while we have never had to use it, it is always a good investment if you are going to be off shore. You never know what could happen out there.

Almost had to use it once though.... Brand new boat and we entered the Tred Barta tournament. Trolling all day at a constant rpm caused carbon to build up on the spark plugs. 30 miles off shore and the engine wouldn't rev above 2500 rpm.

"Trolling all day at a constant rpm caused carbon to build up on the spark plugs. 30 miles off shore and the engine wouldn't rev above 2500 rpm. [/QUOTE]"

Thats what sucks about two strokes.

I saw the SUV and thats exactly what I'm looking for and who knows maybe I can put a newer Yamaha four stroke in it one day.

I'd be fishing by myself mostly otherwise I'd be in a boat.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Have a look at this forum; PWC fishing

Be careful about solo PWC riding, especially in open water and long trips. If at all possible find a riding buddy with another PWC.

Consider investing in communication and rescue gear. VHF radio (preferably with built-in GPS and DSC), waterproof case for cell phone, etc.

And an emergency repair kit with selected tools, spare parts, spark plugs, duct tape...
    I'd never go out that far without some other boat or PWC.

I saw JetSkiBrians web site and I'd have all that plus back ups just in case. Especially an extra battery.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by INABIL View Post
    ... maybe I can put a newer Yamaha four stroke in it one day...
    There are a handful of SUV with four stroke engine conversions running around. Don't recall if they have 4-Tec or Yamaha engines.

Thread Information