Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

how do you true a hull

Hey watercraft junkies.I just would like some tips on how to true my 2007 ultra 250. It's an open class closed course boat. Thanks for any tips. R.I.P. Skip Holmes We miss ya

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by eazygoin View Post
    Hey watercraft junkies.I just would like some tips on how to true my 2007 ultra 250. It's an open class closed course boat. Thanks for any tips. R.I.P. Skip Holmes We miss ya
    1 word.........FUN

LONGBOARD sanding..............and resin/filler to fill the big holes

grey primer and black guide coat..

Waz

+1
    hi Sirbreaksalot. I miss your kitty picture. It made me laugh. Well I'm a certified welder and glazer(commercial glass installer) so workin' with my hands isn't new. I already have the grey primer(sherwin williams marine). I was going to use, I think it is called the West System. It's a two part resin that we used in carpentry to build a mothboat which is a small sailboat with a big sail. they were created in Elizabeth City,North Carolina which is where i went to school.Oops, I got off subject. Oh yeah, should I build up the ribs or strakes(?) on the bottom of the hull to sharpen them. I figure this may help the ultra turn a little better. thanks sir breaksalot for helpin' chief. You always answer me. Too bad you live in Australia we would have to hang out killa. Wanna hear something funny. While talking to Dustin Farthing in his tent/pit, two young ladies came up to me and asked for my autograph. I had to borrow Dustins sharpie to sign ones tank top and the others real short jean shorts. That made my day especially considering it was my first race. funny huh. Thanks again Sirbreaksalot p.s. I won three out of four

+1
    has anyone posted any gains on truing the hull?
    I say this only because at wot there's not a lot touching the water so i just wondered if it really helps?

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by wot recession View Post
    has anyone posted any gains on truing the hull?
    I say this only because at wot there's not a lot touching the water so i just wondered if it really helps?
    on a ULTRA their actually is still a shit load in the water
    the hook in the hull is still way in the water........... So i say every little bit helps..

But remember for every action there is a equal or opposite reaction..........

yes speed may rise , but rough water and turn in may suffer.......these are are made a certian way for a reason..

However if you want soeed in CC why not

Waz

The YAMI boys have some posts about trueing their GPR's

Fat Man, Little Boat Region8Ultra250X's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by eazygoin View Post
    hi Sirbreaksalot. I miss your kitty picture. It made me laugh. Well I'm a certified welder and glazer(commercial glass installer) so workin' with my hands isn't new. I already have the grey primer(sherwin williams marine). I was going to use, I think it is called the West System. It's a two part resin that we used in carpentry to build a mothboat which is a small sailboat with a big sail. they were created in Elizabeth City,North Carolina which is where i went to school.Oops, I got off subject. Oh yeah, should I build up the ribs or strakes(?) on the bottom of the hull to sharpen them. I figure this may help the ultra turn a little better. thanks sir breaksalot for helpin' chief. You always answer me. Too bad you live in Australia we would have to hang out killa. Wanna hear something funny. While talking to Dustin Farthing in his tent/pit, two young ladies came up to me and asked for my autograph. I had to borrow Dustins sharpie to sign ones tank top and the others real short jean shorts. That made my day especially considering it was my first race. funny huh. Thanks again Sirbreaksalot p.s. I won three out of four
    you rode good....

i think you needed to work on your dismount a little more... i would have only scored that a 7.6

I did my wife's 12F this last summer when I repaired a little mishap my buddy had on it. Although it wasn't my original intent, thats what ended up happening when I got hold of the long board........ I couldn't stop till it was flat!

She commented on how much smoother and less drag there was, but turning was sacrificed. It slides like an old skool flat bottom ski now!

I'm going to re-gel the bottoms of both skis the spring and am undecided as to whether or not to true mine up.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCooter View Post
    I did my wife's 12F this last summer when I repaired a little mishap my buddy had on it. Although it wasn't my original intent, thats what ended up happening when I got hold of the long board........ I couldn't stop till it was flat!

She commented on how much smoother and less drag there was, but turning was sacrificed. It slides like an old skool flat bottom ski now!

I'm going to re-gel the bottoms of both skis the spring and am undecided as to whether or not to true mine up.

thats almost the exact opposite of what truing a hull should do. on the stx style hull, truing the hull should reduce/eliminate the hook that is present in the hull on the back third of it near the ride plate/pump shoe on the left hand side if your are at the back of the ski.

i know on my 03 STXR it had a hook in it and this was primarily the work was done.

what it sounds like you did is almost completely eliminate the chines in the hull if its sliding that much.....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Region8Ultra250X View Post
    thats almost the exact opposite of what truing a hull should do. on the stx style hull, truing the hull should reduce/eliminate the hook that is present in the hull on the back third of it near the ride plate/pump shoe on the left hand side if your are at the back of the ski.

i know on my 03 STXR it had a hook in it and this was primarily the work was done.

what it sounds like you did is almost completely eliminate the chines in the hull if its sliding that much.....
    might be me but isn't that what he's saying?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by wot recession View Post
    might be me but isn't that what he's saying?
    there's a difference between truing and ruining a hull.... truing should improve the handling characteristics of the hull not degrade them

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information