2009 fx sho rpms running too high, help!

So I took in my 2009 fx sho and explained to the staff that my pwc is using too many rpms from the start (5mph) all the way to 60 mph. At 60, the rpms are maxed out. Keep in mind, my waverunner can go 73 mph. They looked for rocks in the impeller housing, damage to the impeller and nothing. I actually got a new impeller last year and it worked perfectly. All of the sudden, it just seems to be working too hard for the output it produces. The staff at my dealership plan on doing a water test but in the meantime, I wanted to do my own research. Has anyone had this problem/issue and if so, got any ideas or suggestions?

AWA MEMBER
    +1
    A few questions...... 73 is that the speed on the speedo, and what have you done to the ski in mods. Sounds like you have a cavitation issue, might take a look at your wear ring to impeller clearance, also make sure your grate and plate are in order

thanks rick. no modulations at all, it's just a fast machine. I know you shouldn't count on the speedometer on the pwc but I have taken my gps to measure the speed. I know it's not going any faster than 60 at this point. I'm hoping the mechanics at the dealership will look at the wear ring to the impeller clearance. The grate/plate is perfect, also had it replaced last year. Do you think it could be the engine?

No way in HELL a (ANY) stock ski is doing over 70mph. Typically SHO stock speed is around 64-65 mph. Search in here around mid 2008 through 2009 and you'll find what it took (myself) to get a SHO to well over 70 mph in the beginning. It is a whole lot easier now, but again no way 73 mph period.

That said, if your RPM's are high and you see a low speed and nothing is wrong with the pump, check all the intake hoses for starters. Then plugs, compression, etc as it gets worse errr... more serious... The last time I was going slow at high rpm I threw a rod a few seconds later.

Regardless, it should be interesting to see what the shop reponds with.

+1
    i put my money on the impellor/sleeve. too much clearance needs to be as tight as a nuns nasty, just how we like our women

AWA MEMBER
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by nicjak View Post
    i put my money on the impellor/sleeve. too much clearance needs to be as tight as a nuns nasty, just how we like our women
    +1 My bet is on that as well as said above

+1
    Any chance you sucked something up and bent the prop? I recently sucked up a stick on my FZR, and looking in from the grate and the nozzle, it looked fine, but once I took it out and compared it to a new prop, I could see the pitch had been knocked out of whack on both the leading and trailing edges, especially trailing edge.

Thread Information