Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Newbie question MSX-150

Hello all,
    I just purchased a very well taken care of 04 MSX 150 with 55 hours on it that was owned by a coupled in their late 50's. The wife tore some ligaments in her lower back and offered the ski to me when she decided that she did not want to chance any further pain in her lower back.

I read some of the links posted by ph20craft and found most of the info helpful and tried the search button for basic information, forgive me if any of the following is too basic and tell me to RTFM or use the search button again

The ski was winterized and then summerized 2 seasons ago, then sat for a year in a climate controlled warehouse in "summarized" mode waiting to be used. The owner hurt her back and the ski never was used until I purchased it last month.

I want to make sure I do everything right to get the ski ready for this season and that is where I need your advice.

I have purchased a new battery and presume that I need to change the oil and filter before starting the ski? Anything else I need to do?

Or should I just take the ski to the dealer and let them do a service?

I would rather learn to do the work myself instead of providing the dealer with an opportunity to present an inflated bill to a new ski owner.

Thanks in advance.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk

Where are you located?

The Weber engine in your MSX 150 is rather complex, so do take the time to find and read both the Owner's Manual and the Service Manual.

Also click my signature links, and find the Weber engine and MSX 150 sections.

Even the method for checking the oil level has several steps. Read how to do it, then check the oil level. Overfilling is very common, and it causes a lot of trouble.

Don't worry about changing the oil right away. You have other things to check first. Compression check would be one thing you can do without even starting the engine.

Do what you can to check for any signs of metal flaking off the cylinder walls. Look at the spark plug tips for any signs of metal coloring or tiny flakes (magnifying glass might be helpful) and look into the cylinders with a borescope if you can. These engines use a special Nicasil coating on the aluminum cylinders, and the early engines are known for the Nicasil failing. Later versions of the Weber engine are much better in this regard.

If your Nicasil is still in good condition there are a few things you can do to maximize engine life. One is frequent oil changes, but just as important is an ECU upgrade (reflash) which improves the fuel mapping. This upgrade is offered by Desperado, a member on Greenhulk.

Next thing is to check the turbo wastegate for smooth operation. Often the shaft develops binding from corrosion, and sticks. With some effort and solvent potions, it can often be corrected.

Depending on where you are located, you may or may not have a competent Polaris watercraft dealer available. Many Polaris dealers have ceased servicing PWC, and only a few of the remaining ones can handle the Weber engined models.

I put my responses into your original reply below...

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Welcome to the Hulk

Where are you located?

--I am in Cumming, GA near lake lanier

The Weber engine in your MSX 150 is rather complex, so do take the time to find and read both the Owner's Manual and the Service Manual.

--Where is the best place to buy the service manual? I was only given the owners manual which has limited information

Also click my signature links, and find the Weber engine and MSX 150 sections.

--Thank you, I will check the links

Even the method for checking the oil level has several steps. Read how to do it, then check the oil level. Overfilling is very common, and it causes a lot of trouble.

Don't worry about changing the oil right away. You have other things to check first. Compression check would be one thing you can do without even starting the engine.

--Any special compression check tools I need (or is this outlined in the service manual I need to purchase?)

Do what you can to check for any signs of metal flaking off the cylinder walls. Look at the spark plug tips for any signs of metal coloring or tiny flakes (magnifying glass might be helpful) and look into the cylinders with a borescope if you can. These engines use a special Nicasil coating on the aluminum cylinders, and the early engines are known for the Nicasil failing. Later versions of the Weber engine are much better in this regard.

If your Nicasil is still in good condition there are a few things you can do to maximize engine life. One is frequent oil changes, but just as important is an ECU upgrade (reflash) which improves the fuel mapping. This upgrade is offered by Desperado, a member on Greenhulk.

Next thing is to check the turbo wastegate for smooth operation. Often the shaft develops binding from corrosion, and sticks. With some effort and solvent potions, it can often be corrected.

Depending on where you are located, you may or may not have a competent Polaris watercraft dealer available. Many Polaris dealers have ceased servicing PWC, and only a few of the remaining ones can handle the Weber engined models.

--The original selling/service dealer was Polaris of Atlanta located in Buford, GA. Any good/bad reviews of them. I believe they still services these skis.

Thanks for your help

+1
    Standard compression gauge kit will do. Even an inexpensive one from Harbor Freight will suffice, but the PSI readings you get may be a little high or low. You are primarily looking for compression PSI readings that are in the correct ballpark, and that each cylinder provides the same reading as the other.

Even if you have a dealer available, you are better off to take control of the maintenance and service. Use the dealer when you have to, but learn as much as you can, and do as much as you can, yourself. The result will be a smarter owner, which is always a good thing

Lots to learn, enjoy working your way through the linked materials
    Last edited by K447; 03-02-2011 at 09:36 PM.

Ok, I installed a new battery and checked the compression which was 135 and 140 so I am within spec!
    I started the ski and it revved up and then shut down, I am not sure if this is normal?
    The check engine light flashed after start up, but from what I recall reading this is normal after start up?
    Since I have a fresh battery and I know I have compression, I guess the next step is to put it in the water and cross my fingers hoping that it runs ok and I am not limited to a certain max RPM/check engine light (indicating issues that need to be resolved).
    Am I missing anything else before I put it in the water for the first time? I am afraid to run it too long out of the water in fear of damaging something.

Thanks

+1
    I presume you have reviewed and read through the information and material provided and linked to.

I would leave it strapped down to the trailer (front and rear) for the first water test. Back it down the launch ramp until the jet pump intake is fully submerged. You can run it like this for as long as you want, since the engine cooling will be operating in the normal manner.

You can leave the seat off, and visually monitor for water leaks, exhaust leaks, and anything else that may not be right. You can apply throttle and see how it responds.

Only when you are comfortable that it is indeed operating well, should you actually launch it.

All the precautions about going out on the water in a small boat apply. Make sure you have the appropriate safety equipment, paddle, and so on. Think about how you will get back if you have a breakdown out on the water.

I took the ski out for the first time today. Wow, it runs like a raped ape

Thanks for all your help in getting
    me up to speed!

+1
    You HAVE to start the ski up in reverse or it will rev to the moon.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by FASN8N View Post
    I took the ski out for the first time today. Wow, it runs like a raped ape

Thanks for all your help in getting
    me up to speed!
    Glad to hear it is running well for you.

You MUST now read up on the specific issues that affect the Weber engine.
    My signature links have some pointers to get you started.

Some important items;
    Oil level, dipstick error, how to change oil
    Correct oil to use
    Wastegate lever sticking
    Desperado ECU upgrade - improved engine life, better fuel economy, and a bit more power

Ski is running good
    After extended high speed runs, the low oil light will flash a few times when at idle speed? This does not come on while at speed and everything seems to be ok.
    Oil level looks good, any thoughts?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information