Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

polaris slx 1050

hi all, i'm not too familiar with the polaris ski's but I found a 99 slx for sale,( don't know the exact condition of the motor yet) my question is how do they handle in the chop?, what's the top speed potential( no triple pipes added), what's the difference in handling and power between the slx 1050, the slx1200 and the pro 1200? I have a seadoo spx 800 and it sucks to stay hooked in the chop at high speeds so that's what I'm trying to avoid. thanks.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jersey785 View Post
    I have a seadoo spx 800 and it sucks to stay hooked in the chop at high speeds so that's what I'm trying to avoid. thanks.
    I'm not quite sure what you're saying here.... Do you want it to hook up in the chop or not?

Honestly no Polaris 2 seater is really good in choppy conditions. Even the PRO 785's (I can't comment on the PRO 1200 since I never rode one) skip pretty bad.

If you want a good rough water ski, I suggest a 3 seater.

yes i want it to hook up and not porpoise in the chop and still be able to get over 60 mph without having to install triple pipes.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    ... be able to get over 60 mph without having to install triple pipes.
    How much over 60mph?

Virage TX and Virage TXi (both have 1200 engines) will do just over 60 in stock form, give or take. The MSX 140 is very close in speed with 2004 MSX ride plate installed.

The SLTX is similar to the Virage hull in terms of ride and speed.

The MSX hull seems to handle rough water the best.

+1
    You can break 60mph with the 1050 for sure - but not in the chop and you may need an upgraded pump and impeller (cheap to get). The SL hull is not cut out for riding comfortably in real choppy conditions - it does however provide for a lot of fun in the chop it depends how you want to ride.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    How much over 60mph?

Virage TX and Virage TXi (both have 1200 engines) will do just over 60 in stock form, give or take. The MSX 140 is very close in speed with 2004 MSX ride plate installed.

The SLTX is similar to the Virage hull in terms of ride and speed.

The MSX hull seems to handle rough water the best.
    65??
    I havn't seen any TX or TXi or MX for sale in my area,only the slx. but now I'll keep an eye out for them. the MSX 140 is a 2 stroke correct? and how does the MSX110 and 150 handle?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    .. the MSX 140 is a 2 stroke correct?

and how does the MSX110 and 150 handle?
    MSX 140 is a 2-stroke, using the slightly larger 1192cc black 'MSX' engine.

The MSX 150 and MSX 110 use the exact same hull as the MSX 140, but with a turbocharged Weber four stroke engine.

+1
    I have a seadoo spx 800 and it sucks to stay hooked in the chop at high speeds so that's what I'm trying to avoid. thanks.
    Excellent responses. You're in good hands with these guys.
    I know you're looking for better rough water ridability, but keep in mind your "fun-factor"

You're currently riding a 450lb ski with 110hp and exhaust valves. I've ridden the 2 seater 800 Doos alot, even still own one. They just "pop" out of the water, accelerate nice, and have a decent top speed.

I've also ridden alot of the Polaris 3 seaters as well. Love them. However, keep in mind that the MSX 140 weighs in at 700lbs, only really makes about 125hp, and has no real room for power adders due to the fuel injection system. It will be good in the rough, and it's a decent ski, but it's going to feel like an absolute slug compared to what you're used to.

that's the best comparison response that I've ever got. thank you. yeah you're right about the xp800 and I will not like a slower accelerating ski. maybe a Virage tx? they're lighter than the MSX? carbed? which means that there's room for improvement. and isn't that the Hull that used to win the LB to Catalina endurance races?

+1
    that's the best comparison response that I've ever got. thank you. yeah you're right about the xp800 and I will not like a slower accelerating ski. maybe a Virage tx? they're lighter than the MSX? carbed? which means that there's room for improvement. and isn't that the Hull that used to win the LB to Catalina endurance races?
    Yes, the Virage TX is carbed, lighter, and has tons of room for "not too expensive" modifications. It can be set-up from rough water to glass water conditions or anywhere in between. The MSX 140 can achieve roughly the same top speed through it's hull design, and will feel more plush in the rough, but for way less than a g-note in mods, the Virage TX will blow it's doors off in performance from bottom to top, and still be a rough water contender should you decide to go that route (modifications) in the future.

The 97, 98, and 99 SLTX's are all nice options as well. They share the same hull bottom as the TX'S. The TX's just have a newer designed top deck and the 1200 motor.

Yes, that's the hull that Billy Womack loved to win the LB TO CAT and Back on.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information