Thread: Intercooler

Intercooler

Running an x boat with
    open loop cooling
    les cooke ecu
    and riva xx supercharger

has taken me a long time to build it and dont want to lose the boat to a swollen x intercooler.

will i lose a lot of performance in circuit racing with the fizzle intercooler?
    also will it fit into the riva relocation bracket?

The x intercooler has minimal swelling now but adding the open loop so kind of nervous.

what intercooler should i use?

+1
    You will lose some over the length of a race, at first the fizzle cooler may be better as it has less pressure drop, but the intake temps will go up over the race as it will struggle compared the X intercooler as the X ICer is quite efficient.

But the fizzle IC won't swell.

Honestly, if you run the route I gave you it should be fine, but it would seem that some of the X ICers are weaker then others as some have blown them and some with same setup havnt, Bushell blew one in less then 3 hours on his stock RXP-X so it could go at any point really.

If I were you I would have a look at getting it stregthened up with plates on either end and then run it, if it goes the so be it, then you will have to change it, otherwise you are going to buy a new one just in case.

R88

rory thanks for the reply again just felt bad email every single question i have.
    I must say rory has helped me sooo much to get the right parts for my boat build and has written so many emails and answered all kinds of quesitons.
    what about the piranha parts intercoolers that are in the clasifieds are they any good?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by GPRXP4ME View Post
    rory thanks for the reply again just felt bad email every single question i have.
    I must say rory has helped me sooo much to get the right parts for my boat build and has written so many emails and answered all kinds of quesitons.
    what about the piranha parts intercoolers that are in the clasifieds are they any good?
    Yes I belive that they are a very good core, I have never used one but I did hear that they are anodized so corrosion is less of an issue. They are also quite small so throttle response is likely to be good/better then the larger X ICer.

My best advice would be to search for the threads where people have had there ICs welded/strengthened and get that done the X IC is very good apart from the swelling, If your isnt leaking now then that will be your best bet. All this said you are not going to lose much going to the Fizzle cooler, your not going to be making massive boost. Your call, if your worried about the X IC then get a Fizzle, you can run the routing exactly as riva says with the fizzle cooler. Im not sure about the fit in the braket but im sure it would work.

R88
    Im happy to help but I dont know everything lol

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by R88ory RXP View Post
    Yes I belive that they are a very good core, I have never used one but I did hear that they are anodized so corrosion is less of an issue. They are also quite small so throttle response is likely to be good/better then the larger X ICer.

My best advice would be to search for the threads where people have had there ICs welded/strengthened and get that done the X IC is very good apart from the swelling, If your isnt leaking now then that will be your best bet. All this said you are not going to lose much going to the Fizzle cooler, your not going to be making massive boost. Your call, if your worried about the X IC then get a Fizzle, you can run the routing exactly as riva says with the fizzle cooler. Im not sure about the fit in the braket but im sure it would work.

R88
    Im happy to help but I dont know everything lol
    I bought a piranha, back in 07 and they are built like tanks, never had a problem with it, and yes they in my opinion are about the best, to bad you cant get them any more.

Thread Information