97 STX 1100 Fuel gauge issue

Hi all,

Just joined up as I have recently purchsed a 97 model STX1100.

The only issue I have found with it so far is the fuel gauge doesnt work.

It always reads half a tank. Ive pulled the sender out and it seems to be OK, coming up within specs that the local dealer gave me. The bottom float doesnt float, so I might have to permanently make it stay up and just be careful that last 1/4 tank.

When the sender is held upside down, the display indicates a full tank, when held the correct way, it indicated half a tank, the same as when no sender is attached.

Any ideas other than the display itself? and anyone know if a similar year 900 STX display will work correctly in my 1100?

Thanks

A sending unit from a 900 should work. Just cross reference the part numbers to be sure. I had the same problem but I just replaced mine so I wouldn't have anymore headaches. I got it from www.cyclepartsnation.com they are really cheap on OEM parts.

Quote Originally Posted by AshSTX View Post
    Ive pulled the sender out and it seems to be OK, coming up within specs that the local dealer gave me. The bottom float doesnt float, so I might have to permanently make it stay up and just be careful that last 1/4 tank.
    What do you mean by "seems" OK?
    The sender unit need to be checked by measuring ohms as described in the manual. Have you checked that way?

yep, threw an ohmmeter over it and tested to within halh ohm

Quote Originally Posted by Texan78 View Post
    A sending unit from a 900 should work. Just cross reference the part numbers to be sure. I had the same problem but I just replaced mine so I wouldn't have anymore headaches. I got it from Buy Parts Up To 40% Off Honda Parts,Suzuki Parts,Yamaha Parts,Kawasaki Parts,Arctic Cat Parts,SeaDoo they are really cheap on OEM parts.
    compared to Powers Edge on the same part they were higher, where's the 40% off ?

+1
    You gotta read the fine print, "Up To 40% Off". I buy from Powers Edge. Good pricing, excellent service. I ordered a discontinued part and they sent me an email to tell me about another dealer that showed to have it in stock. They did have it, and I bought it. I guess Kawi dealers have their inventory listed in a nationwide list or something.

Thread Information