Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 15f Diet

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1

15f Diet

Does anyone know where I can gut some weight out of my 15f? I am already planning to get a lightweight battery and I have both waterboxes removed. I have a smaller gas tank from a stx di I am considering but I think I will just not fill the 15f tank all the way. I would like to keep the stock seat and hood. Is there anywhere I can take weight out of without risking hull damage?

Thanks

Sean

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeysevin View Post
    Does anyone know where I can gut some weight out of my 15f? I am already planning to get a lightweight battery and I have both waterboxes removed. I have a smaller gas tank from a stx di I am considering but I think I will just not fill the 15f tank all the way. I would like to keep the stock seat and hood. Is there anywhere I can take weight out of without risking hull damage?

Thanks

Sean
    take the motor out !!!!!!!!!!!

and put a tripple piper..................thats lighter and faster

+1
    how much lighter? its not like I have much time and effort into the motor of anything, and besides it will just explode the first time I fire it.

Sean

Fat Man, Little Boat Region8Ultra250X's Avatar
    +1
    foam the tank.. it will allow you to run a half tank and prevent sloshing which will froth the fuel... lightweight titanium bolt kit, carbon seat, carbon hood.

you could also do what the idiot abroad suggested and go two stroke triple pipes... or if you wanna get stupid and go fast get with bigboost aka chris from lacey powersports and do a 4tec conversion in the 15F hull

+1
    Can you foam a tank without cutting it?(yes you can http://evomx.com/catalog/product_inf...products_id=35) Will this work with the stock fuel level sender? I would like to stick with the kawi motor because I have it built already and the ti fasteners would cost more than the ski did.

Sean

Hi Sean. Sorry to answer a "question" with a "question", but the 15F is pretty light already . . . why do you want to make it lighter? Speed?

Quote Originally Posted by john belton View Post
    Hi Sean. Sorry to answer a "question" with a "question", but the 15F is pretty light already . . . why do you want to make it lighter? Speed?
    +1
    In today's std, it's considered a small ski. There isn't much you can take out w/o jeopardizing any of ski's intended function. Kawi would not have put anything unnecessay stuff/weight costing them $$ in the first place. If you want to go faster/quicker, try to get more hp out of it instead of trying to lose wt on this ski.

mate do the fuel pick up mod that is in my build thread on the other forum

then get in a space suit with an orbital sander inside the hull and start sanding it back
    you can pull heaps of weight out of these things
    they are a heavy boat
    i had my ultra well under the weight of my race 15f
    15f 's only start to come close to handeling properly when you pull weight out of the hull
    you could easy pull 5mm out of the hull in most places with out compromising and structural strength

+1
    I thought the pickup was down in the 15fs already. If I sand the inside do I need to coat it with epoxy afterwards to seal it? I am staying naturally asperated so I want to do as much as I can to make the power count.

Sean

You know one thing I just thought of: if you can find an STX-R gas tank (models years 2002 and 2003), that tank holds about 4 gallons less than the current tank in your 15F (rated at 16.4 gallons but I do think it holds more than that).

So at 8 lbs a gallon you can save 32 lbs total with a full tank (with early STX-R tank). It should fit right in as the 15F hull is really just a heavier version of the STX-R hull anyway . . .

But yes as Post #7 suggests, more HP would be the most simple method; if you are going faster the boat is going to feel lighter!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information