Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

the reliabilty and performance difference between the 07-08 250x and 09-10 260x

hi gents, many know me from the Yamaha 2 stroke site...I always loved this ski but bought the gpr instead.. I'm looking now for an off shore rough water ski with storage space and big fuel tank..this is my boy.Blogged with gurus Scott and Drew and Beagle on the subject in the past and got some honest insight and warnings on the ski..but mostly on the 250x.Now would like to hear from the Kawi forum, maybe from members who have owned both...I know about the crack head issue, SC premature failure,BOVs on the 250x...do you guys feel the problems have been addressed on the 260x....what about increased performance, not looking for a building a rocket, more for realibilty. ...thanks

+1
    Buying used or new?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    Buying used or new?
    definitly used Scott probably an 09,sometime in the mid to late summer...you can bet the ranch on that...budget was 6-8k for the 250x but will bump up more for the 260x...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdave56 View Post
    definitly used Scott probably an 09,sometime in the mid to late summer...you can bet the ranch on that...budget was 6-8k for the 250x but will bump up more for the 260x...
    I know someone who may have a 09 black/blue for sale. Ill PM you

+1
    go with the 260x, alot more reliable, no GIO issue,timing advance already done,better pistons, if you don't mod it and do the maintnance right you wont have any crack head or SC failure, you'll have to upgrade the jet pump shaft and bearing to the 2010 spec but it's not a big deal. If your looking for an offshore ski the 260x is what your looking for. On the Ultra the post ride maintnance is crucial, alot of SC failure is cause by a lack of post ride maint and i never heard of a crack head on a stock 260x, it is a pulley mod issue.

Fat Man, Little Boat Region8Ultra250X's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by brisyl View Post
    go with the 260x, alot more reliable, no GIO issue,timing advance already done,better pistons, if you don't mod it and do the maintnance right you wont have any crack head or SC failure, you'll have to upgrade the jet pump shaft and bearing to the 2010 spec but it's not a big deal. If your looking for an offshore ski the 260x is what your looking for. On the Ultra the post ride maintnance is crucial, alot of SC failure is cause by a lack of post ride maint and i never heard of a crack head on a stock 260x, it is a pulley mod issue.
    are you personally guaranteeing that? is there documented proof of this? i beleive there is documentation of ski's with proper maintenance having issues with cracked heads and supercharger failures. it was an inherrent design flaw that was/should be corrected on the 300X

is there has been a problem with the ultra s/c platform i've experienced it once. went through the pump blowing itself apart which in turn about 3 hours of run time later will take out the crank bearings. Never had the GIO or the cracked head issues because the motor was rebuilt after the first round off issues which corrected these problems.

the supercharger belt will go at some point.. no big deal to replace... maybe an hour to an hour and a half to replace it.

the boat is an excellent off shore boat. with minor handling mods its an extremely competitive closed course race boat (documented proof of this is available)

that being said if you get an 07/08 do the timing mod add the riva plate and have fun. doug and i had idential boats aside from the mods i just listed. he had the plate and timing mod and burned considerably less fuel than i did on a full day ride.

when the weather/water is warmer if you want to ride mine before you make a purchase let me know

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Region8Ultra250X View Post
    are you personally guaranteeing that? is there documented proof of this? i beleive there is documentation of ski's with proper maintenance having issues with cracked heads and supercharger failures. it was an inherrent design flaw that was/should be corrected on the 300X

is there has been a problem with the ultra s/c platform i've experienced it once. went through the pump blowing itself apart which in turn about 3 hours of run time later will take out the crank bearings. Never had the GIO or the cracked head issues because the motor was rebuilt after the first round off issues which corrected these problems.

the supercharger belt will go at some point.. no big deal to replace... maybe an hour to an hour and a half to replace it.

the boat is an excellent off shore boat. with minor handling mods its an extremely competitive closed course race boat (documented proof of this is available)

that being said if you get an 07/08 do the timing mod add the riva plate and have fun. doug and i had idential boats aside from the mods i just listed. he had the plate and timing mod and burned considerably less fuel than i did on a full day ride.

when the weather/water is warmer if you want to ride mine before you make a purchase let me know
    Like i said i never heard of a crack head on the 260 stock, i never said there was none,i know there was some on the 250x but the 260x there is none that i know and no dealer around here have ever replace one (on a stock one)

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by brisyl View Post
    yep...Beagle said the same in a pm message,more piston compression and advance timing...I did my gpr shaving the head 1/16 inch and tightening the squish band ,advanced the timing through the ECU...thanks for the quick replys,this will be my first 4 stroke (3rd ski) so its a new world for me...in the next few weeks will upload or buy a CD rom of service and repair manual and owners manual.....plan on putting on just custom ride plate, intake ,solas higher prop and I understand a desperately needed air filter and blow off valve...like to here comments on aftermarket goodies just if I decide to modify more...Doug (drewnj)said there's not much with performance that's reasonable you can do with her....at least that's worth it..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Region8Ultra250X View Post

thanks.. might take you up on that...never rode one...gpr in the chop is a killer..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdave56 View Post
    yep...Beagle said the same in a pm message,more piston compression and advance timing...I did my gpr shaving the head 1/16 inch and tightening the squish band ,advanced the timing through the ECU...thanks for the quick replys,this will be my first 4 stroke (3rd ski) so its a new world for me...in the next few weeks will upload or buy a CD rom of service and repair manual and owners manual.....plan on putting on just custom ride plate, intake ,solas higher prop and I understand a desperately needed air filter and blow off valve...like to here comments on aftermarket goodies just if I decide to modify more...Doug (drewnj)said there's not much with performance that's reasonable you can do with her....at least that's worth it..
    rideplate,wedge,intercooler dual mod is the cheapest and the best for the $ no need to change the prop unless you intend to mod it alot, stock 260 prop work real fine, you don't need a BOV you just need to block it of,and you don't need air filter ether, you just need to give the engine more air by oversizing the inlet holes from the hull

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information