Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help understanding the 04 knock sensor update.

Can someone tell me how differently a updated 04 boat would run compared to a non updated boat being same year and shape? Does this update help overall runability all the time or is it just on poor fuel? Can anyone tell me what to tell a service tech to look for when trying to find a low rpm coupled with surging problem on a 04 not supercharger related, after continued research and diagnoses I believe it is somehow related to a combination sensor issue because it will erraticaly run as it should. Also I cannot get any codes to come up on the on board display. Thanx

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    an 04 ski right out of the crate will run fine no problems... it has a knock sensor on the block, just no resistor harness... no big deal if ur running good fuel

now... sometimes the dealer will screw up and do a partial update. meaning if the ski is connected to the dealers computer diagnostic, it will update the ECU but the hardware will not be present resulting in poor performance.

it's an all or none deal... either you want NOTHING, no ECU update and no harness... or you want both the upadte and the harness.

any variation from that and you WILL suffer performance loss.

... the next question is, what RPMs are you running at wide open? and between what RPMs does it surge and fluctuate back and forth between?

I`m pretty sure a failed or bad knock sensor will not let the ski rev to it`s limits or over rev. The knock sensor and piggy back harness a basically a resistor to modify the signal that the ecu receives when knock is present. I would also think that there would be a code stored with a drivability issue. Have the dealer hook up the BUDS VCK and see what`s going on...PR...

Yeah what Shibby said!...

Around 65 MPH on the speedo and around 7000-7400 RPM's. I bought mine as a left over and the dealership didn't do the updates, night and day once I took it to them and had it done. Call you dealership and have them run the hull ID on the computer and they can tell you if it has or hasn't been done.

+1
    If the dealer ever hooked up the BUDS computer to your 04 RXP for any reason, such as Teddy's the update to the ECU is automatically loaded (usually without the dealer knowing)

The problem is the 04 knock sensor update is 2 part

1) Update to the ECU
    2) Installation of a piggy back wire harness between the knock sensor connector and stock wire harness.

When the piggy back harness is not installed your ski will be stuck at 7400 RPM's.

+1
    Summitt, your dealer needs to simply install the knock sensor piggy back harness and your ski will run like new again.

+1
    summit... i'm posting the PM you sent me so others can see and help out with diagnosing the problem

Quote Originally Posted by Summitt
    The wide open throttle rpm is 7600-7800 in calm water trimmed out,occasionaly in chop I can get 7900 the biggest fluctuation with a steady throttle thumb is at 6100-6600 I mean if holding on 6100 and calm water no changes in thumb pressure it will go to 6600-6700 all by itself and then back to 6100 feels just like an anchor going in and out, that rpm is most noticeable but it happens at all rpm's, off idle is just slightly noticeable but still there. I believe that boat has had knock update done but it is missing the piggyback like the other boat has, can I take the piggyback harness off the other boat and put on this boat without the B.U.D.S. hookup?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by summitt
    I believe that boat has had knock update done but it is missing the piggyback like the other boat has, can I take the piggyback harness off the other boat and put on this boat without the B.U.D.S. hookup?
    Yes, put the update harness on it. That would be a good start.

Could anyone help me come up with a part number for the piggyback connector. My 04 GTX is stuck at 7400 and no piggyback so I guess I need it.

+1
    only applies to the RXPs and RXTs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information