Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: VXR speed mods

VXR speed mods

Bone stock VXR as received from the dealer.
    Engine was broke in & 2 speed runs performed.
    Lake Mead
    1100' elevation, 60 deg.
    66.1mph, 66.2mph

Anybody played with props yet?

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Flywheel View Post
    Bone stock VXR as received from the dealer.
    Engine was broke in & 2 speed runs performed.
    Lake Mead
    1100' elevation, 60 deg.
    66.1mph, 66.2mph

Anybody played with props yet?
    Yep. And we saw exactly the same speeds here, at 500 feet....and I mean exactly; 66.1 mph stock.
    Playing with the prop will help it hook up a bit better, but you will lose some RPM. There is a lot going on with that boat. I call it; "The little engine that could". As far as mods go, I've ridden the R&D Stage 1, a lot. IMHO, it's a completely different boat. Faster, quicker, handles much better, and in cruise, uses less gas(ECU).

And, just for fun, I took my SeaCow RXT-X out two days ago, and we drag raced it against the VXR. No surprise, I beat it from zero to 30mph. By 40mph he was right next to me...by 50 he was passing me....and, I had a "record" top speed for my boat-69.7mph on the GPS, as the VXR was pulling away.

So far, the "playing with the prop" yielded a slightly better bottom end, but a loss of about 200 rpm. So, this is one of those things were it's not going to be as simple as just bending the blades.

Keep in mind, I'm just the "sandbag" that gets to ride the "end result"....so, I'm not a prop tweaker. You might wanna look at the intake grate(I think you already did that?), oh, and Sponsons!!!! Picked up nearly 2mph with the after-market sponsons.

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    What speeds are the modified ones reaching?

Sean

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeysevin View Post
    What speeds are the modified ones reaching?

Sean
    Mid's 70's
    And, as far as I know, there are only 2 that are considered "modified".

Dustin Farthing has one with a S/C on it that did 87mph!!!!

I think 75ish mph is about all your going to get out of these, without having to spend major dollars and start doing "internal" mods.
    And, if you really wanna go 80mph....get an FZR. This isn't the boat for that.

Or, drop an FZR engine into the VXR, and have fun.
    Or Turbo??

I just can't over emphasize this enough though;
    FZR-WOT=20GPH
    08RXT-X-WOT=18.9GPH
    VXR=13GPH

All 3 of those boats do around 67ish stock, and with a few mods, can hit the mid-70's. But, the one that still burns the least amount of gas, is going to be the winner, IMHO.

The maps on the re-flashed ECU are a bit more refined than the stock map. So, you get more rpm/speed, and actually burn less gas than stock, in cruise!!!

This Saturday, here in Lake Havasu, will be the Mark Hahn 300 mile endurance race. There are 4? VXR racing in that. Weather will probably play a factor. But, it will be interesting to see how many fuel stops they make, and what their average fuel burn is, for the race.

Stay tuned........

+1
    2mph with sponsons?what kind did u switch to?

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by wave15stx View Post
    2mph with sponsons?what kind did u switch to?
    R&D
    Stay tuned for my video of my 2008 RXT-X racing against a VXR......to be continued...(and edited)

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    good numbers so far!

Sean

Banned User
    +1

RXT-X Vs. 2011 Yamaha VXR

Here is the video I shot awhile ago. It's my 2008 Seadoo RXT-X Vs. the 2011 Yamaha VXR. The parts/mods for each boat are listed in the video. Clearly, the VXR is faster....
    Oh, and yes the water was glass, but you will also notice, since the camera is mounted primarily on the VXR, that there is no porpoising!!!!
    Enjoy.......

Be sure to subscribe to my channel. My next "test" will be the Kawasaki Ultra 300X(if it ever shows up).

+1
    [QUOTE=iflyems;1639091]Yep. And we saw exactly the same speeds here, at 500 feet....and I mean exactly; 66.1 mph stock.
    Playing with the prop will help it hook up a bit better, but you will lose some RPM. There is a lot going on with that boat. I call it; "The little engine that could". As far as mods go, I've ridden the R&D Stage 1, a lot. IMHO, it's a completely different boat. Faster, quicker, handles much better, and in cruise, uses less gas(ECU).

And, just for fun, I took my SeaCow RXT-X out two days ago, and we drag raced it against the VXR. No surprise, I beat it from zero to 30mph. By 40mph he was right next to me...by 50 he was passing me....and, I had a "record" top speed for my boat-69.7mph on the GPS, as the VXR was pulling away.

So far, the "playing with the prop" yielded a slightly better bottom end, but a loss of about 200 rpm. So, this is one of those things were it's not going to be as simple as just bending the blades.

Keep in mind, I'm just the "sandbag" that gets to ride the "end result"....so, I'm not a prop tweaker. You might wanna look at the intake grate(I think you already did that?), oh, and Sponsons!!!! Picked up nearly 2mph with the after-market sponsons.[/QUOTE/]

2mph with sponsons?....there barely in the water when your up on plane reaching a maximum speed...just wondering..

Banned User
    +1
    [QUOTE=jetdave56;1648954]
    Quote Originally Posted by iflyems View Post
    Yep. And we saw exactly the same speeds here, at 500 feet....and I mean exactly; 66.1 mph stock.

Keep in mind, I'm just the "sandbag" that gets to ride the "end result"....so, I'm not a prop tweaker. You might wanna look at the intake grate(I think you already did that?), oh, and Sponsons!!!! Picked up nearly 2mph with the after-market sponsons.[/QUOTE/]

2mph with sponsons?....there barely in the water when your up on plane reaching a maximum speed...just wondering..
    On the Yamaha, they help with trimming the nose a bit. It's a delicate balancing act. The plates that the sponsors mount to are still in the water, and they provide lift, and also help reduce drag, over the stock sponsors.
    All I know is, I rode the boat, had my GPS, and the only change was to remove the stock sponsors, and put on after-market sponsors, and the GPS read 2mph higher.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information