Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Bing-A-Ding-Ding-Ding, Brrrrrap! Brrrrrrrrrap!!! Polaris_Nut#1's Avatar
    +1

Piston wash or lack there of

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011_02250001.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	110.9 KB 
ID:	230567Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011_02250002.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	114.5 KB 
ID:	230565Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011_02250003.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	127.3 KB 
ID:	230566Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011_02250004.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	106.6 KB 
ID:	230564

This is my 14 year old XLT 600 with 4,000 miles on it. It dropped the center cylinder.
    My compression was 120, 10, and 120. What do you guys think? picture order is Mag, Center, PTO

+1
    So I have been waiting a month for Polaris to get me piston rings. Nobody local has them for a std polaris piston. I have two good pistons from another XLT project. After getting pissed off with the local dealers I did some investigating and Come to find out the are also used in the 92-95 SL 650 and some of the earlier Indys. While waiting I have rebuilt the fuel pump, replaced the fuel filter, replaced the fuel lines, cleaned the carbs and installed one size larger main jets. I'd like to install new carb boots but they are currently out of stock as well. Did I miss anything?

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    When my ride ZZZZZZ went severly lean, and I left it pinned WOT (trying to kill it), I got the exact same result. Eroded piston at the exh port.

My guess is you'll find some obstruction in that cyl's fuel supply.

FYI, WSM piston rings are a direct replacement for OEM Fuji slugs. $20 a set.

It looks like you may have had a needle and seat stick. Common problem with VM carbs when they get older. Viton needle and seats will take care of that problem. Hiperf.com has them. They also have carb boots and SPI or Wiseco ring sets. As of this morning they had 5 carb boots in stock. It takes 3-4 days to receive in stock items to here, may take a day or two longer to MA. During the ordering process, hiperf shows how many items are in stock.

I had a piston burn like that in one of our XLT's two years ago because of a stuck needle and seat.

Quote Originally Posted by Polaris_Nut#1 View Post
    So I have been waiting a month for Polaris to get me piston rings. Nobody local has them for a std polaris piston. I have two good pistons from another XLT project. After getting pissed off with the local dealers I did some investigating and Come to find out the are also used in the 92-95 SL 650 and some of the earlier Indys. While waiting I have rebuilt the fuel pump, replaced the fuel filter, replaced the fuel lines, cleaned the carbs and installed one size larger main jets. I'd like to install new carb boots but they are currently out of stock as well. Did I miss anything?
    I'm wondering why you would bump the jets to the next size up when it appears to be running rich as it is? I would think you could fine tune your setup with the clip position on the needles. Have you looked at the choke plungers and adjusted as per service manual? I have a 97 xlt special as well, what a fun ride but the first mod I did was to get rid of the purple LOL!
    One more thing... Have you performed a leakdown test to make sure the seals are ok? And also check to see if the drain bolts were in place and tight?
    A bad base gasket could certainly have been the culprit as well!

+1
    SLP said to go two sizes bigger with oxygenated fuel and I have been running stock jets the whole time. Hmmm, yeah I have the viton needle and seats in there, but they are a few years old like eight, hmmm

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    When my ride ZZZZZZ went severly lean, and I left it pinned WOT (trying to kill it), I got the exact same result. Eroded piston at the exh port.

My guess is you'll find some obstruction in that cyl's fuel supply.

FYI, WSM piston rings are a direct replacement for OEM Fuji slugs. $20 a set.
    you got a part number handy?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayton G View Post
    It looks like you may have had a needle and seat stick. Common problem with VM carbs when they get older. Viton needle and seats will take care of that problem. Hiperf.com has them. They also have carb boots and SPI or Wiseco ring sets. As of this morning they had 5 carb boots in stock. It takes 3-4 days to receive in stock items to here, may take a day or two longer to MA. During the ordering process, hiperf shows how many items are in stock.

I had a piston burn like that in one of our XLT's two years ago because of a stuck needle and seat.
    I'll have to check them out

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by thester71 View Post
    I'm wondering why you would bump the jets to the next size up when it appears to be running rich as it is? I would think you could fine tune your setup with the clip position on the needles. Have you looked at the choke plungers and adjusted as per service manual? I have a 97 xlt special as well, what a fun ride but the first mod I did was to get rid of the purple LOL!
    One more thing... Have you performed a leakdown test to make sure the seals are ok? And also check to see if the drain bolts were in place and tight?
    A bad base gasket could certainly have been the culprit as well!
    I'll have to check the seals but the center burned down so maybe the base gasket.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Polaris_Nut#1 View Post
    you got a part number handy?
    You're positive the SL 650 piston crosses over????

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information