Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Best way to remove scuffs, light scratches?

Hi,

I have an 06 gp1300r with all decals removed. It has quite a few scuffs and light scratches on it (can't feel them) from previous owner. What is the best way to remove these? I tried one area with some rubbing compound as i would a car, but that seemed to make it worse. Any tips? I would like to make this thing shine again.

Thanks.

Banned User
    +1
    1000 grit, then 1500, then 2000, then rubbing compound then polish.... and if the scratchs are worse then that start with 600-800-1000-1500-2000-compound-polish and enjoy the bling

Quote Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
    1000 grit, then 1500, then 2000, then rubbing compound then polish.... and if the scratchs are worse then that start with 600-800-1000-1500-2000-compound-polish and enjoy the bling

I assume this is wetsanding correct? Also, when I used rubbing compound, it seemed to make it kind of worse...

Thanks!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Dubb View Post
    Hi,

I have an 06 gp1300r with all decals removed. It has quite a few scuffs and light scratches on it (can't feel them) from previous owner. What is the best way to remove these? I tried one area with some rubbing compound as i would a car, but that seemed to make it worse. Any tips? I would like to make this thing shine again.

Thanks.
    I feel your pain. My 06' has marks from you feet in the footwells but the rest of the ski is nice except the damn water spots, even though i clean my ski's very well. My body shop wants to buff it all out so i might go that route. The whole thing after that is trying to keep the marks off, we have black ski's, good luck to us.

RETIRED !! In Mobile AL or Wherever I Want To Go
    +1
    For water spots use a white vinegar and water mix. 3 parts water/1 part vinegar. Does not seem to matter if the mix is perfect. I use it on my black FZS,,,works awesome. Wet a soft clotch with the solution, wipe on , let sit a minute or so, and wipe off. No hard rubbing, just any easy wipe on and wipe off. Repeat if necessary. It never takes more than two applications for me to remove even the most stubborn baked on water spots. (sounds like a commercial don't it). Try it,,,it works
    Chuck

+1
    Yes, using rubbing compound will scratch the hull/ thats why it looks worse after you rubbed that area. Use a grit sandpaper that removes the scratches your after(anything bigger than 600 is too coarse to buff out). lower number means coarser grit. 2000-soft.80-rough.

I would use a 1500 grit first. it cuts fast for a "soft" sandpaper. add a little soap and water in a spray bottle and spray it on as you sand the area. use a squeezgee after a few sandings, see where u are...if the whole area there goes foggy, your good, then buy some finnese-it by 3-m with a wool pad on a wheel. use moderate pressure and apply the finnese-it to the pad and the surface to be polished... watch your edges on the ski, if you touch them with a wheel, youll burn thru.

word of caution. some topsides are white underneath under the top coat color.. if your paint or gel is thin from the factory, or thin from sunlight killing it. it will burn thru way faster..

thats why I said 1500 to be on the safe side. 1000 cuts very fast. finish it with carnuba wax. wax on, let dry i min, wax off till it shines.. Mcguiers wax in the red bottle is the best..

also be aware if your ski is faded, those spots you cleaned up will look like new now.. usually under the stripes or graphice it already looks new. depends what color yours is and what condition it is on. florida sun kills paint jobs fast. even up here in michigan it kills the paint quick. everything is pink instead of red.. just like the seat covers get the same way.

If you keep it waxed with carnumba, you wont get water spots. water spots form because you dont have anything to protect the finish.. when you do, the water will bead right off.

Getting a ski looking perfect again takes money.. good wax, sandpaper, finnese-it,wool pad, wheel,extention cord,wheel spur,soap, water, squeezgee,good microfiber cloth.. you can go even further with polish and a foam pad to get the lustre out of the gel or paint..

any pics of the problems area?

Go look in my sticky on painting a jetski. It's all there from gouge to wetsanded. I did all the scratches and the bottom of the hull. Shhh! its in the polaris section.

Be careful using sandpaper on a GPR hull...it's paint, not gel coat, and it is THIN. You will go through it in no time.

I just did 2000 just to be safe. I am having a heck of a time getting it to shine again. I have used rubbing compound and carnnuba on a 2600 rpm buffer, and it still is not shining back up. What am I missing? Also, does the same rule apply for scratches on these as it does on cars? if you can feel it with your fingernail, there is nothing you can do?

Thanks.

+1
    what you need is POLISHING COMPOUND not rubbing compound them finish with wax.

Yep, that helped quite a bit. Thanks for the help everyone. I thing really just needs a new paint job since all of the scratches are so deep (the previous owner did not seem to care too much about cosmetics).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information