Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Pump failure issue.

If the pump blows apart, is it a guarantee that the crank / motor will have a failure? (250X ski)

+1
    about a 90% chance

Why don't you Ultra guys put a hall effect switch or similar at the shaft with an AFU light to the dash, that way when the shaft moves forward you know you are being fucked with by the POS before it reams out the engine? If you can't get 100% reliability from the pump at least have a warning light to save your ass. Naa- it's doable but then again that's a dick of an idea

RT

+1
    why most of us are now happy with the efforts we have gone too at least we are now on par with any other jet pump out there to this day i havent heard of a pump failing after they have done the mods correctly, ive done nearly 100hrs since last checking mine, but will be replacing bearings very shortly just for security.

If it's gonna happen (engine issue) can you tell by water testing it after a new pump is put in? I would guess that it would not hit peak speed or RPM's. Only saw the old pump shaft and it mushroomed where it hit the bearing. The rest of the pump was thrown out because it was cracked. Ski has 55 hrs on it 07 250X. Put a new pump in it and it sounds great on the trailer. I know in the water is a different story. Read a remark that the engine would blow in about 3 hours after such an incident. Just want to know what the red flags are before I water test it. Thanks again.

ANY 07, 08, 09 Ultra should have their Pump upgraded to 2010 Specs (2011 Specs when the parts are avail) before the boat even touches the water again. When the Pump Bearings go you have little or no warning that it has happened; the damage done is immediate and complete. Personally, I am on my 3rd engine because of this. Unfortunately for me, I had to go through my trials and tribulations because the 2010 set up was not around yet. But as Nicjak points out above, I too believe that with the 2010 Pump bearing set up, the Pump set up is as good as any other pump out there in the general PWC fleet. It would be one thing if upgrading to 2010 Specs was "thousands" of dollars . . . it is not. It costs about the same as 2 tanks of gas to do the upgrade (soon about the cost of 1 tank!). And to those that would think, "well, if it happens to me I will just let the Dealer and / or warranty fix it: Bad idea. The ski will be down for months; Jet Ski dealers do not, and frankly cannot be expected to, carry all of the needed parts in inventory to fix the boat in a couple of weeks. It is a major engine rebuild; I have personally seen the torn down engine myself after the Ski has gone thru this; pieces of metal everywhere, shavings of metal everywhere, pitted parts, even the cases themselves are ruined.

Anyway Draven; hope I made an impression on you today.

+1
    Is there a link to where the parts are to upgrade the pump to the 2010 specs ???

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shaft.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	275.6 KB 
ID:	230653Is this what everybody is seeing? Better/ worse? John, did your ski stop running when this happened?

Quote Originally Posted by Draven99150 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shaft.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	275.6 KB 
ID:	230653Is this what everybody is seeing? Better/ worse? John, did your ski stop running when this happened?
    Actually, I never saw the Shaft so others will have to chime in on that one. Yes, the boat will stop running and will not start. The last time it happened I almost got run over by a 900 foot tanker. If not for quick thinking with my hand held VHF / cell phone I may not be writing this. Hence, I really see this as more of a "safety" issue than anything and that's why it really strikes a chord with me. If you could ride even 3 miles in my Boots you would know what I mean.

I bought the ski really cheap and bought a new pump and put it together. Just trying to get a feel of what I'm in for. The guy who had it before me said he heard some pump noise and headed back in, flushed it and pulled the pump to see that it was cracked. Ski is ready for a water test but I'm not gonna go nuts for the fisrt 10 mins or so. Crossing my fingers on this one. Thanks for the replies and keep them coming----maybe some replies of better news for me...lol

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information