Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Buffing yamaha blue paint?

I have a VX with the blue top deck. Ski has been covered up most of the time, but the blue is getting faded. I wax it, but a couple weeks later it looks faded again. Any tricks for this? Love the color but its alot harder to keep up than the white.

Thanks!

+1
    Try using a quick wax after every ride or two. I wash and use Meguries Ultimate Quik Detailer after each ride and wax twice a season.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00610.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	56.3 KB 
ID:	230631 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00605.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	82.2 KB 
ID:	230633 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00611.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	230634 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00604.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	230632

+1
    I bought the ski used.. I think if it had this done from day one it would be a none issue... but since its already started to fade it seems like the wax isnt enough??

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by coastalfun View Post
    I bought the ski used.. I think if it had this done from day one it would be a none issue... but since its already started to fade it seems like the wax isnt enough??
    You should try a more aggressive compound such as Meguiar's Direct Ultimate Compound I have only used Ultimate compound once on a car and it worked pretty good, just follow up with a coat of wax.

what are you washing your ski with??

You could have some contaminets on the paint, or it is oxidizeing....either way it will need something more agressive....but first I would try Meguires clay bar .....or wet sand with 2000 grit sandpaper compound, glaze, then wax

+1
    As was mentioned above, a light duty compound will do a nice job bringing back the finish. What might be happening is your cover that's supposed to be protecting the ski is actually dulling the finish. The factory covers are pretty abrasive & loosen up after constantly being on the ski, so the wind might be causing it to flap against the deck. Not sure if you're willing to do this big of a project, but this thread was a good solution:
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/yama...ory-cover.html

SC1 is good stuff for plastics. It can bring back some shine.

SC1 - $8.99 : Maxima Racing USA

+1
    Buffing a yamaha ski is just like buffing a car since they both use a similar painting technique. Start with a wash (use dishwashing liquid if available), and follow up with a clay bar.

When it comes to polishing, it is best to use a quality random orbital buffer like the Porter Cable 7424. The results will be 10000% better than what can be accomplished by hand. If you dont have access to one, your hands will work.

As far as compounds and pads, you want to start with the least abrasive polish/pad combo that gets the job done, since polishing actually removes paint.

I do not know much about marine compounds, I have read those are not designed for clear coat paint. I have had good luck using my car polishes. I use mainly Menzerna but you can pick up cheaper polishes that will work just as well for the job. Meguairs makes some good polish.

The reason I asked the question about what he was washing his ski with, is because if you wash it with dish liquid it will strip and shine out of the paint an cause it to constantly be dull. No matter how much you clean the paint and claybar, then wax, the next time you wash it with dish liquid you are back to sqaure one. Get a good automotive wash liquid for washing. Meguires makes a haze and swirl remover that works wonders once you have clayed your paint. Throw a couple coats of wax on afterwards and you should be good to go. Also tape off all of your plastic pieces to avoid staining them white.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information