Cool just bought my first jetski

I just purchased a 2004 900stx with only 29 hours on it and i was wondering if there is any thing i should do to it or if any one has noticed any issues with skis from around this time (2004).

My friend said i should disable the oil injector and just premix the oil and gas. does that sound right?
    Last edited by K447; 03-22-2011 at 09:28 PM.

+1
    Welcome aboard, and congratulations, jrodicus!

Since it's 7 years old, I would definitely replace the oil lines with polyurethane hose and secure it with stainless steel safety wire. The oil pumps are extremely reliable, the problem is with the hoses. Replace them and the problem goes away.

Make sure you bleed all the air from the hoses before running the engine. A hypodermic needle works good for filling the lines. The large supply line normally doesn't give trouble, but make sure it's secure. There is a bleeder screw on the pump for getting the air out.

thanks, i will replace the hoses but this fella is insistent that i disengage the oil pump and premix. He says that on a ski of his the oil pump failed as well as the warning light and it ruined his ski. premixing is not a big deal it only takes a minute so i dont want to suffer the same fate he did. Has anyone else ever had this happen to them?

+1
    A lot of people do disable the system and run pre-mix. It's messy, requires doing math or buying one of those mixing cups, and you have to remember to take oil with you every time you put gas in it. It also burns more oil when idling and smokes a lot and is more likely to foul plugs.

This has been discussed at length, but I've never heard of an actual oil pump failure, only the hoses falling off or splitting.

There are some people that think that running pre-mix guarantees that you won't have an oil related failure, but that's not true, either. If you run pre-mix and get trash in one of the carbs, it's going to run lean. That means more heat and less oil. You still toast the cylinder.

You can do what you want. I'd suggest doing what is easiest for YOU! Both methods will work, but you really need to do one or the other.

By the way, on Kawasaki's 1200 engine, you CAN'T remove the oil injection system (at least, not realistically).

I spent a lot of time riding/working on that 900 2-stroke ski since 90's. The oil pump on that ski is very reliable. Issues I have seen are air bubbles in oil line and trash getting clogging the pump - but rare. The pump itself is very reliable and never goes bad. I still have 2-stroke skis that are 11 years old with the original oil pump, and no problem whatsoever on that part.

COOL THANKS MAN, I REALLY DONT WANT TO MOD THIS THING OUT BECAUSE IT WILL ADD TO THE MAINTANENCE AND THINGS THAT CAN GO WRONG. i WILL CHANGE THE OIL LINES THOUGH AND KEEP IT AS IS AS FAR AS THE WATERPUMP IS CONCERNED.....

+1
    Don't forget, when you run it on the flush hose, NEVER let the water run unless the engine is running! Start engine, start water; turn off water, turn off engine. Letting the water run when the engine is off can allow water to back up in the exhaust system and flow backwards into the cylinders/crankcase.

what is you top speed on your 900stx?

I just got a 2000 and it is hitting only 47MPH at 7050 RPM.

It was doing 41MPH when I first got it the impeller was cracked so I replaced with a new stock unit but was thinking it shoudl do mid 50's at least.

Thread Information