Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

RC Nitro Truck Recommendation

I don't know a thing about RC toys. But, I'm looking to buy a nitro RC 1/8 scale monster truck for my 14-year old son for Christmas. It doesn't have to be the fastest. However, it does need to be tough. He's pretty good at breaking stuff, just like his old man. After researching online, the three that stand out are the Associated Monster GT, the HPI Savage 25, and the Traxxas T-Maxx 2.5R. Can anyone recommend one brand over another or offer other trucks to check out? Since these little bastard aren't cheap, I want to make sure I buy the best one for the money. Thanks for any help!

The Traxxas is the most popular. The savage is the stronges and if you look at the losi truck that one is just insane. if you go to youtube.com you can see them all in action by putting the name of the truck in a video search. If I had to buy another I think I would go for the losi truck.

Check this out GPrider http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/index.php

Doesn't take too much join and post your question... these's guys know their trucks, tell them Pro-4x4 sent you!

I have a savage and its tough. but if you do break the truck the team ass. is easier to work on. witch ever you get make sure your local hobbie store stocks parts for your choise.(note) if you get a savage make sure you purchase the upgraded axel shafts that is the only part I broke when it was stock. ps my truck is for sale if intersted. I can send pics

+1
    My opinion is that if you dont know anything about nitro R/C go electric. The E-MAXX is a bad ass electric truck. I own a Traxxas Revo, the baddest R/C that I have ever owned. It is VERY easy to lean out a nitro truck and burn it up. If you choose to go nitro you will need to spend quite a bit of money on tools and acc. for it. The most important tool you will need is a temp gun. These trucks require a lot of tuning to get any life out of them. I am very picky about my toys so after every race I would tear my truck down and change the diff oil and clean the truck VERY good. I have 2 friends that bought Revos after I let them try mine out and they are not very thorough about maintainence and they are constantly buying diffs and bearings. I would recomend any Traxxas product. BUY NEW since you dont have any experience with the hobby. Read the manual and watch the DVD that comes with the Traxxas trucks if this is the way you want to go. And if I was spending the money I would buy the 3.3 and not the 2.5 if I were you (more bang for the buck).

I like the t-maxx's. But personally I like the HPI savage X. It is very strong and easy to work on / with. The team associated truck looks like a great deal and has nice features. The Team Losi truck is just awsome but expensive... Check out www.towerhobby.com very good deals and great people to deal with. Fast shipping and tons of parts in stock. If I was you definitly get a RTR kit. Alot of the places that sell them sell startup combos with everything you need, tools, starter, battery, charger pack, glow plugs, fuel jug, and fuel. The local hobby shops also sell combo kits as well as tower hobby. I will suggest one thing. Check out your local hobby shops and see what they sell and what parts they stock. That way you dont haev to order every lil nut and bolt when it breaks, and it will break. Just go to the store and pick it up what you need and go play again.

Thanks for all the replies, guys. I wasn't familiar with Losi. I think I'll visit the hobby store today and see what they carry. I have heard good things about the electric E-Maxx, as well. Apparently, there's a DeWalt drill motor conversion for it that really makes it haul a$$.
    Last edited by '02GPRider; 11-14-2006 at 11:14 AM.

go for an electric truck you will be better off

+1
    If you think wrenching on a ski is teadeous wait until you get a nitro truck. Constant carb tuning and temp readings with the slightest ambient temp change. If I wasnt so deep in the nitro trucks I would go to the E-Maxx with a brushless setup in a heart beat. A whole lot less maintainence!! Whatever you do buy a RTR kit from your local hobby shop. If you buy it from Tower or another online source your local hobby shop wont be as willing (if at all) to help you out when you have questions or problems. Just my .02.
    Last edited by jeffsntx; 11-14-2006 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Spelling like a 2nd grader

One thing to remember about nitro r/c vehicles no matter what kind
    you own,you always want to see a little blue smoke coming from the
    tuned pipe or stock exhaust.If you do not see any smoke coming out,
    it is running very lean.This is one hobby i know real well,i wish i knew
    jetski's like i do r/c.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information