Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Towing a jet ski

Sorry for the stupid question guys but I recently traded in my SUV and i was wondering if it was safe to tow a ski with a car rather than a truck my car has a V8 but idk if its safe for the car... do any of you use a car to tow to the ramps?

The car realy needs a trailer hitch!!!

Check the tow capacity on the net or possible in the owners manual. Then do the math to see how much your jet, trailer, and gear weigh. I pull with a 4 cylinder toyota with a 1500 lb towing capacity. No problems

Quote Originally Posted by TennR600 View Post
    The car realy needs a trailer hitch!!!

Check the tow capacity on the net or possible in the owners manual. Then do the math to see how much your jet, trailer, and gear weigh. I pull with a 4 cylinder toyota with a 1500 lb towing capacity. No problems
    yeah, the car i have is a mercedes CLS 550 and a bmw 325i but the cls has Air suspension so im really afraid of messing that up

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizvik View Post
    yeah, the car i have is a Mercedes CLS 550 and a bmw 325i but the CLS has Air suspension so im really afraid of messing that up
    What does the car owner's manual say about towing?

The manual should either say towing is not allowed, or it should list the maximum trailer weight the car can handle. Another option is to ask the technical dept at your car dealership what the story is with towing for your model.

Air suspension shouldn't be an issue, IF the vehicle is rated for towing.

In general, a single full size PWC with trailer will be under 1500 lbs, and double PWCs plus trailer will be around 2500 lbs, give or take. Total weight depends on the particular PWC models, and the trailer weight (aluminum vs. steel).

The main issue with towing is whether the additional weight will upset any of the safety systems on the vehicle. Some cars have all kinds of electronics that can get upset if the systems don't cope well with the extra weight. Some anti-lock and stability control systems are designed to cope with trailers, some are not.

Def check out what Kevin is saying^
    then if it is tow capable check out to see if a hitch is avail for the car...
    Trailer hitch, hitches and bike rack (800)298-8924

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    Def check out what Kevin is saying^
    then if it is tow capable check out to see if a hitch is avail for the car...
    Trailer hitch, hitches and bike rack (800)298-8924
    A Class 1 hitch is 2000 lb capacity/200 lb tongue weight and most cars can be fitted with a Class 1 aftermarket hitch. The Class 1 hitch is typically a 1" or 1-1/4" drawbar, versus the typical 2" drawbar. What is interesting about the Class 1 hitches is that drawbar will always be much shorter than the Class 2 or higher, this is to limit the the effect of the tongue weight on the hitch/frame attachment.

We just put a Class 1 hitch on my wife's Honda CRV and the trailer hitch interfered with the bumper because of the shorter drawbar. I had to find a longer drawbar. If anyone has the same problem you will have to cut an inch off of the car side of the longer drawbar because the short drawbar is also shorter from the pin towards the front of the car and there is a factory stop built into to keep you from switching drawbars.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack B View Post
    A Class 1 hitch is 2000 lb capacity/200 lb tongue weight and most cars can be fitted with a Class 1 aftermarket hitch. The Class 1 hitch is typically a 1" or 1-1/4" drawbar, versus the typical 2" drawbar. What is interesting about the Class 1 hitches is that drawbar will always be much shorter than the Class 2 or higher, this is to limit the the effect of the tongue weight on the hitch/frame attachment.

We just put a Class 1 hitch on my wife's Honda CRV and the trailer hitch interfered with the bumper because of the shorter drawbar. I had to find a longer drawbar. If anyone has the same problem you will have to cut an inch off of the car side of the longer drawbar because the short drawbar is also shorter from the pin towards the front of the car and there is a factory stop built into to keep you from switching drawbars.
    so its better to buy what type of class hitch and drawbar for a BMW sedan?

I know a guy in Miama area that pulls a honda 1500 aquatrax with a two seat Mercedes. He said it was not suggested to trailer with the Mercedes. On the trip I met him on he had pulled a jet up to Charlston SC for a ride. He also said he had not had any problems towing. I think he had to have the hitch made though. I can probably track him down if needed.

Roy

+1
    many guys in the uk tow with just ordinary small cars no problem, it is only like carrying 3 or 4 adult passengers in reality so i wouldnt worry. i have towed my sho with a 150 cc quad bike on wet grass so im sure a car will cope.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizvik View Post
    so its better to buy what type of class hitch and drawbar for a BMW sedan?
    You don't get to choose. The car manufacturer (vehicle tow rating) and hitch manufacturer decide what amount of trailer weight the vehicle can safely tow, then the hitch is made for that 'Class'.

If the car is rated for 2,000lbs or less trailer weight, then you are going to get a Class 1 hitch.

Class 2 hitch happens if both the car and hitch can handle more trailer weight, up to around 3500 lbs. Common on mid-range SUV and some larger cars.

Class 3 and higher hitches is what you often find on large SUV and pickup trucks. 2 inch square receiver, and weight ratings from 5,000lbs up to 'very heavy'.

The weight you can 'safely' tow is based on the lesser of the hitch rating and the car rating. If the car is rated at zero or 1,000lbs, then that is how much you can tow, regardless of the hitch class.

What does BMW say about towing with your model?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information