Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Anyone running an R&D FZR Block Thermostat Kit Cooling Option?

Like it says, anyone running an R&D FZR Block Thermostat Kit Cooling Option [660-18004] - $119.95 : PWCPerformance.com?

Last spring I installed the R&D Engine/Intercooler Cooling Kit and it worked too well. Had to shut-off the additional cooling supplies to the engine and oil cooler as well as re-install the thermostat and problems were fixed but... now I'm not realizing any of the additional cooling I should be seeing after installing the kit.

If anyone's installed the new second thermostat kit, how's it working?

Thanks in advance.

RETIRED !! In Mobile AL or Wherever I Want To Go
    +1
    I have it in my FZS Craig. I don't have a lot of time with it,,maybe just a few hours, but the install was easy and I want to keep my engine at max operating temps without worrying about GIO. So far so good and I have been in Kentucky lakes and Alabama hot rivers.

+1
    Thanks for the note, Chuck. What else have you installed in the way of cooling mods?

RETIRED !! In Mobile AL or Wherever I Want To Go
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 5001craig View Post
    Thanks for the note, Chuck. What else have you installed in the way of cooling mods?
    The only other cooling line I ran is the dedicated line from the pump strainer to the JD IC. 1/2 " . I added one 11mm pisser on the starboard side and replaced the OEM pisser with a 11mm pisser = two 11mm pissers starboard side. Both from the IC out. One of the lines out from the IC will be used on my watercooled SC housing when it gets shipped to me.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by maxadrenaline View Post
    The only other cooling line I ran is the dedicated line from the pump strainer to the JD IC. 1/2 " . I added one 11mm pisser on the starboard side and replaced the OEM pisser with a 11mm pisser = two 11mm pissers starboard side. Both from the IC out. One of the lines out from the IC will be used on my watercooled SC housing when it gets shipped to me.
    Very nice. Almost like Christmas...

Mods are-a-coming. Can't wait for the ice to get off the lake.

+1
    Craig, talk to Gordon L...I know he's had it on for awhile & is the only one I've seen post about it. I'm pretty sure it was working well for him with a C3/JD IC setup.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mjh3ides View Post
    Craig, talk to Gordon L...I know he's had it on for awhile & is the only one I've seen post about it. I'm pretty sure it was working well for him with a C3/JD IC setup.
    yes, i was running the complete r+d cooling kit with a c3 /r2 and jd setup.
    if you run the cooling kit with the oem thermostat your oem cooling lines off of the rectifier will rupture from the water pressure. i replaced them with re enforced nylon hoses.
    i also remove the thermostat for the season to prevent any issue. the only water line that was oem was the line from the rectifier to the oil cooler.
    i did have gio. to me it was a worthwhile. for one i changed the oil frequently before a race weekend. doing 100 mile enduros and c.c.braces every 3 weeks.
    the other was without the thermostat i did not run the risk of blowing the water line going to the oil cooler.
    in effect my water temp. probably did not get up to operating temp.
    but, this year i re installed the oem thermostat.
    the oem line from the rectifier to the oil cooler is a high pressure waterline know.
    i have the 2nd thermostat kit. and it will be on shortly.
    i have change the reflash to a R3 and i have a C5 s.c. wheel.
    in early april is my first enduro and c.c. race for the 2011 season. i will see how well it performs including keeping an eye on the gio issue.
    with the ski setup with 2 thermostats i am very optimistic that the 2 thermostats will flow enough water and keep the motor at normal engine block tempature.

+1
    Thanks for the post and info Gordon. I'm very interested in knowing how you like the 2nd thermostat kit.

I e-mailed Glenn @ R&D about my present cooling kit (he refers to it as the triple cooling kit) and the new 2nd thermostat cooling kit. Here is the reply I got from him:

The R&D triple cooling kit is designed to keep the engine temps in check around 180° with big boost and big power in extreme racing conditions. Some applications and builds do not need this much cooling. The new R&D Thermostat kit is designed to add an additional thermostat to work in conjunction with the original thermostat. The addition of the second thermostat allows for increased water flow through the block which adds additional cooling to the engine.
    I'm thinking the 2nd thermostat kit is for me--especially in those Indian Ocean-like waters in SOLA.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 5001craig View Post
    Thanks for the post and info Gordon. I'm very interested in knowing how you like the 2nd thermostat kit.

I e-mailed Glenn @ R&D about my present cooling kit (he refers to it as the triple cooling kit) and the new 2nd thermostat cooling kit. Here is the reply I got from him:

I'm thinking the 2nd thermostat kit is for me--especially in those Indian Ocean-like waters in SOLA.
    i would reccomend the 2nd thermostat to anyone running the "triple cooling kit".
    if you run the cooling kit without the oem thermostat you run a high chance of gio.
    with the 2 thermostats you should be able to keep the water in the engine block at operating temps and have the ability to flow enough water without running the risk of blowing the water lines off of the rectifier.
    my .02

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by gordon lasiter #328 View Post
    i would reccomend the 2nd thermostat to anyone running the "triple cooling kit".
    if you run the cooling kit without the oem thermostat you run a high chance of gio.
    with the 2 thermostats you should be able to keep the water in the engine block at operating temps and have the ability to flow enough water without running the risk of blowing the water lines off of the rectifier.
    my .02
    In hindsight, I would not have installed the triple cooling kit. I would simply drill and tap my pump and buy a 1/2" thru-hull for a new dedicated supply for the IC only (which I believe I will still need to do as the triple cooling kit is less than 1/2" for the IC). Then, keep the stock thermostat and install the R&D 2nd thermostat/supply.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information