Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Rude fuel controller problem linking with computer?

OK i got this controller used and i loaded the software onto my laptop. I have a gigaware adapter that converts the rude cable over to a USB port. Today i got the computer to link up to the controller and i adjusted my idle AF a bit. It worked fine. Then when at the lake today I tried to do some further tuning but could not get it to link. I went home and erased the rude program then redown loaded it. tried again. Still wont link up. Any body know why? Is there anyway to test these cables and adapters? Im gonna try a different lap top and see if i have better luck. The controller seems to work because its running the map i loaded into it earlier as the idle AF is right where i set it at. Please help!! Im about to pull my hair out!!

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    Some USB to RS-232 converters will change there port address - number from time to time, especially if you plug it into a different USB port. The controller s.w. needs to match that port number, and the port needs to be RS-232. Check your device manager for the proper port number, and make sure the controller s.w. configuration matches that port number. I assume you know this.... but the controller has to be powered up (key on) to communicate with it.

+1
    Thanks BD!! Im not very computer smart. What is the controller s.w. Where is the device manager? I have windows vista if that helps and i know the ski most be powered up for it to work. Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyRXP View Post
    Some USB to RS-232 converters will change there port address - number from time to time, especially if you plug it into a different USB port. The controller s.w. needs to match that port number, and the port needs to be RS-232. Check your device manager for the proper port number, and make sure the controller s.w. configuration matches that port number. I assume you know this.... but the controller has to be powered up (key on) to communicate with it.

+1
    The R4 program must reflect the port you have the USB plugged into. When you open r4, and load customer, on the right under "connect to ECU" you see a drop down with comm 1,2,3,4 ect. Match this in your device manager.

To access device manager:

Start> Control Panel> Hardware and sound> Devices and printers> Device Manager.

Once in device manager, you should be able to see where your cable is plugged into.

Hope this helps!

Pauly C.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by GOLD06RXP View Post
    Thanks BD!! Im not very computer smart. What is the controller s.w. Where is the device manager? I have windows vista if that helps and i know the ski most be powered up for it to work. Thanks
    The controller s.w. is the R 4 program you installed on your PC that communicates with the fuel controller. To get to the windows device manager..... right click on "my computer", click on properties, hardware, device manager, then click on ports. You will see your USB adapter located somewhere in that list, along with a com number beside it. Make sure the R 4 s.w. is configured for the same com number.

+1
    Ill see if that works. Ill try tomarrow

+1
    Make sure that the adapter cable you purchased is Vista compatable since your running Vista. You may be able to find a Vista software driver for the adapter online if it came in the package and didn't say it was compatable. Dont buy one of those $40.00 jobs with all the lights and indicators, the old saying "Keep it simple stupid" applies. I can almost guarantee this will resolve your issue. When you plug the adapter into the USB port Vista should recognise the new device and install a driver that matches the adapter. If your seeing that Vista recognizes an "Unknown Device" then prompts you for the software driver then that means that Vista doesn't have a correct driver to match. If this happens the PC will never link to the Rude. Check your Device Manager for any hardware listed as unknown device, if you see that listed in the drop down then it's likely the adapter that Vista couldn't install properly due to not having a suitable driver. Sorry for any typos, its been a long day of fishing!!!

+1
    He got it to connect to the controller earlier.... so I highly doubt that the converter driver is the issue here.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyRXP View Post
    He got it to connect to the controller earlier.... so I highly doubt that the converter driver is the issue here.
    I told you guys it was a long day fishing, I guess I should have read the whole post before replying.

+1
    Ok, i dont know why but it now works. Just plugged it in and it works now? Guess it just needed a rest LOL

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information