+1

Yamaha dealer FAIL

Was at the Indianapolis Boat Show today, talking with a Yamaha dealer about the new models....I told him about my ski..and he told me about how once they built a 1390 Riva for a guy, but it kept bucking him off at around mid 70s (radar)...I told him that it was pump overstuffing and explained what it was...He had no clue. I also explained how my dad basically invented his own pressure relief for the overstuffing problem..He fabricated his own system using intakes in the pump, and lines that run to anodized (blue) aluminum outlets flanking both side of the jet pump. Thus over-filling of the pump cavity is negated by the relief outlets..I told him he should have patented the idea, but alas it's too late. I know Dad didn't invent it, but he has a nice system that HE BUILT.

Well, the Yamaha dealer couldn't believe the speeds of my Dad's recreational monster GP1390 (to avoid the bucking the dealership propped down the guy's ski...lame)......And even my GP1200R with very limited mods can still run with the top Sea Doo's in chop (Love beating the hotshots that think they can just buy speed...and then can't pull on my old 2 stroke)

My Dad's modded GP1200R...will beat any stock new Doo or Yamaha or anything off the line and pull away with the scoop grate/ride plate in rough water..but if I am not mistaken Doos are now limited (stock) at 65 or 70 mph, no? Dad's boat could easily be faster, but he likes holeshot and reliability, runs a bit lower compression that a lot of 1390s, plus he's propped for holeshot. That's all he'll tell me, likes to keep his mods a secret, won't tell me prop pitch, compression numbers (only that they could be higher if he wanted to)..Mr. Top Secret....Last summer I killed an RXT 260 like it was nothing, dude was in shock I think

I GPS'd my 1200R at around 66 mph..I GPS'd my Dad's at around 75....No it won't win the drags but it will smoke anything on our lake....

I just couldn't believe this dealer rep had never heard of the overstuffing problem, especially if they were doing a build up on a GPR...He's lucky his customer wasn't seriously hurt

If you're getting bucked off at 73, your setup is way off. Wonder if they had the stock intake grate on the ski...definitely a good way to get tossed. When running just over 80, I notice my ski starting to become a bit unsettled...but so far, I've yet to have an issue, and I don't currently have any pressure relief...but my shoe is mounted fairly high in the front, which is probably why I've been ok so far.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by PolarisNut View Post
    If you're getting bucked off at 73, your setup is way off. Wonder if they had the stock intake grate on the ski...definitely a good way to get tossed. When running just over 80, I notice my ski starting to become a bit unsettled...but so far, I've yet to have an issue, and I don't currently have any pressure relief...but my shoe is mounted fairly high in the front, which is probably why I've been ok so far.
    Maybe...I could be low on the number he said (73), I know it was mid 70s though. My guess is what you said, they left the stock grate on...

Thread Information