+1

Air intake for Ocean riding

Hi guys, Could I please get some input and options for the air intake for ocean riding, the ski is stock and I only plan on doing the ride plate, so not heavily modified, but clearly I would like any speed advantage I can get.

+1
    RIVA SHO / FZ Performance Power Filter Kit [RY13040] - $279.95 : PWCPerformance.com

above works just fine for me for Ocean riding(filter sits onto of fuel cell and stays dry),also have the foam removed from under cowels

AWA MEMBER
    +1
    or you can save some $ and do like I did, look at the thread Free deck mod, cheap air for the fzr thread

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Hydrotherapy View Post
    RIVA SHO / FZ Performance Power Filter Kit [RY13040] - $279.95 : PWCPerformance.com

above works just fine for me for Ocean riding(filter sits onto of fuel cell and stays dry),also have the foam removed from under cowels
    +1 I have same set up, no problems what-so-ever

Quote Originally Posted by RickWhite View Post
    or you can save some $ and do like I did, look at the thread Free deck mod, cheap air for the fzr thread
    The reason Riva places their air intake so high up above the fuel tank to to stop water from getting in. The only place water does get in is through the handle bars and it flows to the bilge right from there. However, I saw how you modded your stock air box and I will say that based on where you drilled those holes if you ever submerged the ski you could have a water ingestion problem. Food for thought.

AWA MEMBER
    +1
    LOL that is where the stock inlet on that box was so in stock form your saying if i get water in it it will get water in the SC?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RickWhite View Post
    LOL that is where the stock inlet on that box was so in stock form your saying if i get water in it it will get water in the SC?
    What I mean is that the oem air box has a lip over it to stop water getting water in where as your mod doesn't. I'm not saying your mod is inept, just pointing it out Next time you are washing your ski, give the hose a little squirt down through the handlebars with the seat off and watch where the water runs to. This will simulate the effects of submerging the bow of the ski or when you are running CC and water comes over the top deck.

+1
    i run the riva power filter kit as well
    i do any hours of ridin in rough ocean conditions
    i do leave the water cover on the filter the whole time though
    so much so that i always forget to take it off when doing speed testing

kev

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Hydrotherapy View Post

Thankyou all for the heads up, even though the the Riva is worth a little money it seems to be the smart way to go. I will probably go that way just for piece of mind. Does the air intake pick up any extra speed on its own. I only plan on doing a ride plate as an extra mod. I just love the look of the FZS it is such a beast of a machine.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by gleson View Post
    Thankyou all for the heads up, even though the the Riva is worth a little money it seems to be the smart way to go. I will probably go that way just for piece of mind. Does the air intake pick up any extra speed on its own. I only plan on doing a ride plate as an extra mod. I just love the look of the FZS it is such a beast of a machine.
    Do the intake manifold upgrade while you are at it. Its 30$ and that's where you will see the gains. You should expect to be right about at 69.4-69.9mph with just the air filter and manifold upgrade. Speed gains from the rideplate depend on which one you get and how you shim it.

Thread Information